eleven

namjoon sat at his desk and sighed. it was his birthday, he didn't like his birthday. he hated it. he hated celebrating.  he hated the overwhelming feeling of having everything he didn't have in one day, he just wanted to stay home.

he looked at his desk and saw a small box neatky wrapped in light blue wrapping paper with a note attached.

happy birthday, joon!

i know you said you didn't want anything, but i wanted to get you something anyway.

p.s. expect gifts from students, the school sends the parents of your students a reminder a week prior to your birthday!!

namjoon wanted to cry.

he didn't want anymore gifts! one was more than enough and usually that gift was more than enough! right now he was placing a bet that his gift from seokjin would be delivered to his apartment later.

he set the gift aside and began working, trying to forget it was september twelve. he tried to act like it was a normal day.

"dr.kim! happy birthday!" his student excitedly said as he ran and hugged namjoon's leg.

this was great, absolutely amazing.

namjoon didn't eat during lunch and just looked at his desk that had 10 gifts on it. one was too many already! he hadn't opened any of them yet because he didn't have the courage to.

"what are you doing?" yoongi asked as he sipped coffee from his mug, "just staring at all the gifts"

"great, isn't it?" yoongi asked, namjoon didn't do anything as he stared at all of them, "what am i even supposed to do with so many gifts?" he mumbled, "you open them"

namjoon felt a knot in his throat. he didn't want to cry, especially not in front of yoongi.

"plus, students feel really happy when you open them in front of them. it might be nice to sit down with them at the end of class and open them" yoongi said, drinking the last of his coffee, "maybe" namjoon mumbled, he didn't know what to do with so many gifts.

he sat in front of his student with all the gifts he had gotten. he smiled and slowly opened every gift.

namjoon wanted to cry more with every gift he opened, he had never gotten this many gifts in his life, let alone in a day.

"thank you so much!" namjoon smiled and bowed. apparently at recess, yoongi and namjoon's student had planned something for the taller.

yoongi walked in with a chocolate cupcake in hand and a candle, everyone began singing, "happy birthday to you!" they ended, it seemed like this day couldn't get any worse for namjoon.

he blowed out the singular candle and  smiled, a knot in his throat and tears in his eyes, "this is great, everyone! thank you!"

seokjin

happy birthday!!