forty-two

namjoon hummed as he saw some many people at the grocery store on new year's eve. why was there so many people?

in all honesty, namjoon was only at the store because he felt guilty about lying to his mother. he felt guilty for telling her he ate 3 meals a day when some days he went on with just drinking water.

grocery stores were overwhelming to him. there were so many numbers and so many options. he remembered being 6 years old and calculating how much his family's total cost would be with coupons.

the tall boy stared at some packs of energy drinks that were being advertised. he looked at the bold packaging and grabbed a pack.

namjoon looked at the flavors and packaging. he looked at the tag that clearly said, '12.99'. the price made him put it back.

never in his life would his parents even let him look at those energy drinks. he wouldn't pay 12.99 for some drinks. there were knock-off brands he could drink from instead.

"are you going to buy it or not?" a man beside him scoffed, namjoon stepped away from the drinks, "i'm sorry, sir" he bowed, "you're wasting everybody's time"

with that, namjoon walked away and headed to the chips aisle. there were so many different chips. he was amazed.

growing up, his parents were really strict on what brands they could buy from and what brands they couldn't buy from. even as a little boy, namjoon understood the financial struggle his family was experiencing so he never looked at anything else.

now, he could look at all the brands, no matter how questionable or odd the flavors were. however, he bit his nails seeing the prices.

he was not about to spend 5 dollars and 19 cents on a bag of 'hot mustard' chips. he would have to be crazy.

he stepped away from the aisle, he shouldn't be eating chips anyway.

seokjin woke up at 6am to jimin gagging and throwing up. jimin threw up every morning and every morning, the older boy cringed.

"are you okay, jimin?" seokjin shouted from bed, receiving a gag in response and hearing the 'plop' of jimin's dinner hit the toilet. the older boy grabbed a hair tie and walked to the bathroom.

he tied jimin's hair up as the boy continued throwing up. he hated seeing jimin go through this.

"it's okay" seokjin said, jimin was lethargic and tired by the end of it, he leaned on seokjin's chest, "gonna rinse off now" jimin mumbled, "okay, minnie. what can i do?"

"get me some saltine crackers and a water. also, get me the heating blanket" jimin said, seokjin nodded and did as told.

seokjin held jimin in bed as the smaller ate crackers. he could tell jimin had woken up early and was still tired. he saw how jimin could barely open his eyes.

"what time did you wake up?" the taller one asked, "like at 5:40, i woke up with just nausea, so i tried to wait it out, but then i started throwing up" jimin said, "why didn't you wake me up?" seokjin asked, "you deserve to sleep" jimin mumbled, "if you have to suffer, i should too"

"but you deal with my cravings and hormones all day" jimin said, snuggling into seokjin's chest, "i do, but it's nothing compared to what you're doing. you're growing my baby" seokjin said, putting his hand on jimin's stomach, "your hand is cold" he mumbled.

"sorry" seokjin said, jimin's eyes began feeling heavier, "i'm going back to sleep" he sleepily said, seokjin placed a small kiss on jimin's forehead.