The moment.

Patri and I were laughing at Pina, who had just spilt my water all over the table, when the sound of the bell on the restaurant door rang through the room. I looked up briefly and that's when I saw her.

Alexia. Alexia was here. Mapi said she was busy tonight... Why is she here? I can't face her right now, not in front of everybody.

My thoughts were spiralling around my head and my heart was beating like a drum inside my chest. Then I heard her voice...her smooth voice, greeting the group as she got closer.

"Hola chicas" she smiled.

Some of the the girls returned her greeting.
"Hola capitana"
"Hey Ale"

But I didn't... I couldn't. I distracted myself by focussing on cleaning up the rest of the drink that Pina had spilt, while the rest of the the group chatted with Ale. As I reached for another napkin, I saw Mapi staring at me, the look in her eyes telling me what I already knew... she had done this. She was the reason Alexia was here. My eyes remained focused on hers for a moment, trying to communicate how upset I was, when a voice distracted me.

"Welcome back Isy" Alexia smiled at me for across the table.

I drew my eyes away from Mapi, looking into the Hazel ones that I once knew so well.

"T-Thanks" I managed to get out of my mouth in reply before standing up and excusing myself for a moment to get another drink.

I reached the bar, sat down on one of the stools and rested my head in my hands. Taking a few moments to slow my heart rate and get my breathing under control.

"What can I get you?" the male bartender asked me with a smile on his face.

I lifted my head up and looked over the bar at the drinks that were on offer. I have never had a great relationship with alcohol, it has always been an escape for me, a way to avoid my emotions. I haven't had a drink in 6 months, but tonight... tonight I need one.
"I'll have a white wine please... and a double vodka"

"Sure, coming right up" he smiled.

As he gave me my drinks, I was joined by Ingrid, who sat down on the stool next to me. I looked over at her briefly, before reaching for the vodka and drinking it down in one.

"Mapi messed up..." Ingrid spoke quietly, placing her hand on my shoulder.

"Yep" I quickly agreed before picking up my wine.

"What do you want to do..." she asked me.

"I'm going to go back to the table and try to enjoy the rest of the evening with my friends" I stated simply, before getting back to my feet and re-joining the group.

The rest of the evening went by slowly, the sound of Alexia's voice and the feeling of her hazel eyes looking at me from across the table made time feel like it was standing still. I knew she wanted to talk to me and a part of me wanted to talk to her, but we didn't. We both talked with the group without saying a single world to each other.

As the meal came to an end, the group slowly began to disperse until it was only Ingrid, Mapi, Alexia and I left at the table. We all sat there, not one of us knowing what to say, when Alexia suddenly broke the silence.

"Is-" she began.

I couldn't do this. I couldn't sit there and act like nothing had happened.

"I'm just going to the bathroom before we leave" I stood up, almost running away from the situation. When I reached the bathroom, went into a cubical, locking it behind me and leaning against the closed door. Trying to hold back the tears that were trying to escape so desperately.

Alexia's POV

"I'm just going to the bathroom before we leave"

I knew that she might not want to see me, but the fact that she ran away every time I tried to speak to her hurt.

As she disappeared into the restaurants bathroom, I stood up in an attempt to follow her, but was held back by Mapi who had a hold of my wrist.

"Ale...no" she said firmly.

"Mapi, let me go. I need to speak to her. I messed up... I need to fix it" I pleaded, trying to free my wrist from her grip.

"I don't think it-" Mapi began, but before she could finish I had freed myself and was already making my way to Isa.

When I entered the bathroom, I couldn't see Isa, the room was empty. That's when I noticed the locked cubical. I knew that Isa was on the other side of the door. I could hear her breathing heavily... she sounded upset.

"Isy.." I spoke quietly, making my way over to the closed door, gently knocking on it.

Nothing. There was no response.

"Why didn't you tell me that you were coming back?" I asked quietly through the door, regretting those words immediately.

The door swung open and Isa came storming out, clearly angry.

I shouldn't have said that.

"Why didn't I tell you!?!! are you serious??" She shouted.

Like I said, I shouldn't have said that.

I opened my mouth, in an attempt to respond, but as soon as I did she started again.

"We haven't spoken in so long Alexia. We haven't spoken since you didn't get on the plane, since you sent that text, since you left me. Why would I tell you... why should I tell you??" she shouted, pacing around the bathroom.

"I'm sorry Isy..." I mumbled, ashamed of everything I had done.

She stopped pacing and stood in front of the sink, placing both hands on the marble counter while looking down at her fingers. A sigh escaping her lips.
"Please stop calling me that" she whispered quietly, before turning to face me, her eyes finally meeting mine.

I took a few steps closer to her, never looking away from her dark brown eyes
"I'm so glad you came home Isy" I whispered and reached for her hand with mine. Feeling her skin on mine for the first time in over a year sent a shiver down my spine and by the sound of the sharp intake of breath that came from Isy it seemed to have the same affect on her.

I began drawing circles on the back of her hand with my thumb, using the other hand to move her hair away from her eyes.

"Alexia..." she whispered, while her eyes left mine to look down at her hand in mine

"Isabel..."

I took a step closer, thinking that she would pull away, but she didn't. She returned her eyes to mine, our faces now close enough that I could feel her breath on my skin, sending shivers through my body once again. It felt like when had gone back in time, we weren't just Alexia and Isabel... we were Ale and Isy again. I leant forward and rested my forehead onto hers, we stood there in silence for a while, neither of us pulling away, her hand still in mine.

I leant in further, desperate to feel her lips on mine and the moment her lips brushed against mine the bathroom door swung open.

The moment was over.