Blueberry.

Ale's POV

I woke up early on the day of my surgery to the sound of Isy throwing up in the en-suite. I got out of our bed as quickly as I could, given that I was still on crutches and made my way to her. The noise continued as I grew closer and the sight that I was met with when I pushed the door open broke my heart. She was kneeling on the tiles in front of the toilet still in her pyjamas as she repetitively wretched into the bowl.

"Oh carino" I said sympathetically as I pulled her hair away from her face with one hand and rubbed circles on her back with the other.

"Sorry if I woke you" She mumbled, her voice hoarse from vomiting.

"Don't be silly, you should have woken me up. How long have you been like this for?"

"About 15 minutes," She said quickly, before throwing up again.

"I guess I really am pregnant, it didn't feel real before... but this little blueberry is kicking my butt this morning" she managed a smile as she sat back on her knees and wiped her mouth with a tissue.

"We are not calling them blueberry!"

"No, they are the size of a blueberry! I wasn't planning on naming our baby after a fruit you idiot!"

"Ok good, because Blueberry Putellas sounds ridiculous!" I laughed.

"How are you feeling? It's a big day" She asked, placing her hand reassuringly on top of my knee.

"Nervous, scared, exhausted, but you and our little blueberry are keeping me going, without you two I think I would have been lost in all of this" I said honestly, looking into her chocolate eyes that stared back at mine.

"We'd be lost without you too"

My mother picked us up at 9 am to take us to the hospital, my surgery was scheduled for 10:30, so we had plenty of time to get there and go through all of the pre-op checks. We arrived at the hospital and headed upstairs to meet my surgeon, he walked me through the procedure for what must have been the fifth time and prepared my knee before leaving the room to get himself ready for surgery telling me that the nurses would be in to get me shortly. I was nervous, this was probably the biggest step in my career, this knee had gotten me to where I am today, and the fact it was going to be pulled apart and have parts of it replaced was terrifying. I didn't know if I was going to be the same after the surgery, but one thing I did know was that I would always have Isy and our baby by my side.

My mother stared at me from across the room as the surgeon left, a worried look on her face as she took a few steps toward me and reached for my hand.
"I love you and I'll see you in a few hours," she said softly, squeezing my hand tightly.

"I love you too" I squeezed her hand back.
"Thank you for always being right by my side Mama" I whispered.

She placed a kiss on my forehead before releasing my hand and taking a few steps back.

"I'll give you two a minute" She smiled at Isy and I, before walking out of the room and into the hallway.

Isy's POV

The surgery lasted for just over three hours and I felt nauseous for every single minute of them, whether it was the morning sickness or the nerves I didn't know, but one thing that I knew for sure was that seeing Ale being wheeled back into her room felt like a relief. She was ok.

I sat beside her bed and held her hand as we waited for her to come around from the anesthesia, Eli was pacing up and down at the end of the bed, she had barely sat down since Ale went into surgery and it didn't look like she was planning to anytime soon.

Ale came around slowly, still groggy from the anesthesia, she took a few attempts to open her eyes before she tried to talk, her voice deep and slurred as she spoke incoherently.

"I-Isy" She mumbled, her head moving from side to side as she looked around the room.

"I'm right here Ale, the doctor said everything went well. How are you feeling?" I asked, gripping her hand tightly, letting her know that I was right by her side.

"I m-missed you" she slurred, turning her head towards me and smiling.

"And I missed our blueberry..." She said, stretching her hand out towards my stomach which I immediately pushed away.

"Your what?" Eli asked, confused by Ale's rambling as she stopped her pacing and stood at the foot of the bed, staring directly at us both.

"Nothing, she's not making any sense, ignore her" I immediately tried to brush off Ale's comment. We had decided to keep the pregnancy to ourselves until after Ale's surgery and our first scan in a couple of weeks, the only person who knew was Alba and she had sworn that she would keep her lips sealed and keep it to herself. We wanted to surprise our parents with the news, letting them know that they were going to be grandparents for the first time was huge and this is definitely not how we wanted Eli to find out... from her drugged-up daughter after she had just had surgery and was unaware of what she was saying.

"Our baby blueberry in Isy's tummy" Ale mumbled again, this time what she was saying was much clearer as she placed her other hand on top of my belly button.

"Are you pregnant?" Eli asked quickly, looking towards where Ale's hand was resting, the shock clear on her face and in her voice.

I nodded slowly, smiling at Eli as Ale still mumbled incoherently next to me, her hand now rubbing small circles on my tummy.

"We were going to tell you in a couple of weeks, it's still early and we wanted to wait until Ale had her surgery"

"I'm going to be an Abuela?" Eli asked, tears in her eyes as she walked towards me, pulling me up from the chair and into her arms as she held me tightly.

"You are, I'm sorry you found out like this. Ale had this whole surprise planned, she was so excited to tell you" I mumbled into her shoulder, wrapping my arms loosely around her back.

It was almost four hours later when we finally arrived back home, Ale had apologized to Eli over and over again about how she had inadvertently announced the news, annoyed at herself for her mistake, but overjoyed about her mother's excitement. Eli hadn't stopped talking about the baby ever since she had found out, repeatedly telling us both that we were going to make amazing parents and that she would help us out as much as she could.

Eli helped Ale into the living room, lowering her onto the sofa and supporting her braced knee with a couple of cushions before laying a blanket over her. She was understandably exhausted after the events of today, it had been hard both mentally and physically for her and it was clear that she just wanted to get some sleep. Eli had offered to stay and cook us both dinner before heading home which I was incredibly grateful for, but the thought of food was anything but appealing at the moment. The nausea had started to return on our way out of the hospital and had only gotten worse the closer we got to home. As soon as I placed Ale's bag on the floor at the bottom of the stairs, it took over and I rushed towards the bathroom, throwing up for the fifth time today.

It turns out that it wasn't just morning sickness, it was afternoon sickness too...