Protective.

Ale's POV

I didn't want to be here tonight, winning the Balon D'or was the highlight of any footballer's career, but I could think of a hundred places where I'd rather be, number one being at home in bed with my wife, online shopping for baby clothes, like we had nearly every night for the last few weeks. Isy was five months pregnant now, we hadn't announced the news yet to anyone except our friends and family, it was a decision that we had made together, neither of us feeling the need to tell the world about our baby just yet which meant that Isy was staying at home tonight as to keep the secret for a while longer.

I could normally just about manage awards ceremonies, but this year it felt different. This year I had more important things on my mind. I didn't want to be here, I didn't deserve to be here winning this trophy, not after having not kicked a ball in over four months... there were people who had performed for the whole season and deserved it more than me, especially after the euros this summer.

The evening didn't last forever though and before I knew it I was doing the last interview of the night and one step closer to going home. The questions were as I expected, the club had been vague about the reason why Isy hadn't played yet this season, citing medical and personal reasons but the media and fans had been growing more impatient for details.

"Your family must be so proud, what do they make of you winning all of these individual trophies?" The interviewer asked, holding the microphone out in my direction.

"They are proud, winning trophies like these is always special, but it's the team trophies that mean the most to me... I think of these individual awards as more of a reward for my family. I wouldn't be able to do any of this without them. My parents spent years driving me back and forth to training and matches, my sister Alba also gave up a lot during our childhood so that I could live out my dream and my wife has been my biggest supporter since the moment we met. This award is for them..."

"Speaking of your wife Isabel, we know she hasn't played yet this season, how is she doing? Is it also an injury that's keeping her out?"

The question everyone wanted to ask.

"She's good, it's not an injury, she's just not able to play at the moment due to other circumstances" I smiled, knowing full well what the circumstances were.

"Can you give us any more information as to when she'll be back on the pitch? The fans really miss watching you both play"

"I should be back in training early next year and Isabel... well, she'll be back as soon as she can"

After the interview had finally ended, I headed back to the hotel room that I'd been given to get ready in, immediately checking my phone and finding a string of messages from Isy as she watched from home.

Isy 🥰

I wish I was there to celebrate with you tonight, but Nala, bump, and I are cheering you on from right here! xx