If anything happens.

Almost one year later...

"I don't want to go" Ale moaned as she held me close to her, her hands resting on my waist as she looked into my eyes.

"I know"

"What if you are and I miss it" She spoke softly, her eyes glancing down to my stomach.

"Ale... we've already talked about this. You won't miss it, I'll come and see you in a few days and we'll do the test together, I promise. I don't want to find out without you anyway" I tried to reassure her, placing a short, but meaningful kiss on her soft lips.

"Why does this training camp have to happen now..." she sulked, pouting out her bottom as she rested her forehead against mine.

"Because the Euros are in a month and I need you to bring that medal home for me, mi reina"   I teased, knowing how much she hated the nickname.

After a long meaningful embrace, it was time for Ale to leave. She had a two-week-long training camp in Madrid with the Spanish national team before the European championships started next month. We had known from the start that the timings wouldn't work out well for doing the test, so had planned that I would visit her on camp and we would find out if we were going to be parents together. There was never going to be a perfect time to take this step, that's what we had told ourselves over and over again, there would always be a tournament or important games that would get in the way, but right now saying goodbye to Ale just over a week after doing our first transfer... it felt like the worst timing possible.

Ale turned to me as she walked down the driveway towards her waiting taxi.
"If anything happens call me..."

"It won't! now go or you'll be late for your flight"

Ale and I had decided to start a family over the Christmas break, it was something that we always knew that we wanted, but deciding to start was a big step. It was a long process and it meant that one of us would need to take over a year out of football, but it was something I had always wanted to do. I had dreamt about being a mother since I was a teenager, being pregnant, carrying a baby for nine months, and having a beautiful child to love unconditionally at the end of it felt like something I had been made to do. I have always loved children, gravitating towards them at any given opportunity and Ale was the same. The relationship that she has with Irene's son Mateo was the reason I brought up the topic of children over Christmas, we had been at the team's Christmas gathering, and watching Ale play with Mateo for most of the day made my love for her grow even more. She spent hours playing football with him, talking to him about his favorite toys, play-fighting, and as the day grew later she snuggled into him as he sat on her lap. It got me imagining what she would be like with our child and what an amazing mother she would be.

We were lying in bed that night, arms wrapped around each other as we chatted about the day and how much Matteo had grown up since we'd last seen him. 

"I want one" I said simply, cuddling further into her side.
"One what?" Ale asked, confusion on her face, but the tone in her voice told me that she knew exactly what I was talking about.
"A baby"
"You do?"
"Yeah, but not if you don't-" I began, not wanting her to feel any pressure about my admission, but she soon interrupted me.
"I do too" Ale whispered as she pulled me even closer to her.
"Really?"
"One hundred percent! whenever you are ready, so am I" She smiled, her cheeks blushing as her hazel eyes stared directly into mine.
"I think I'm ready now" I admitted.
"Let's have a baby then, it will take a while, but let's start the process"
"I've already thought about one thing... I want to use your eggs. If that's okay with you of course?"
"Are you serious?" Ale asked, tearing up as she held my face in her hands
"Is that okay?"
"Of course it is! you have no idea how happy that would make me..."