Training.

I woke up and soon realised that I wasn't in my bed, but instead on the sofa, still wearing my clothes from the night before. My head pounding and my throat dry... the drinks from last night leaving their effects.

I picked up my phone to check the time, quick realising I was late for training. I was supposed to leave 10 minutes ago. I jumped up and ran straight into my bedroom to get out of my old clothes and into my training gear. Once I was dressed I threw some things into my bag, grabbed my car keys and ran out of the door locking it behind me

As I pulled into the training ground car park, I could see that most of the team had already arrived, their cars already parked. After parking in the first space that I could find, I jumped out of the car, before practically running into the building. I quickly made it to the locker room, which was already empty, the rest of the team already out on the pitch. I threw my bag into my locker before grabbing my boots and running outside.

As I got closer to the group, a few faces turned my way. Pina and Patri shouting at me from across the pitch while laughing "There she is!" "Late as usual"

I ran over to them, by this point completely out of breath and looking like a mess, I hadn't even had time to brush my hair. I sat down on the grass, kicked off my trainers and slipped on my boots
"I overslept" I explained jokingly while tying my laces.

"Jonatan isn't here yet so you should be fine" Pina joked, pulling me up to my feet.

I was trying to sort my hair out, pulling it up into a ponytail when Mapi appeared in front of me, looking rather guilty.

"Isa, can I talk to you for a second?" She asked sheepishly.

"Ok" I mumbled and walked away from the group, Mapi following closely behind me.

The moment I stopped and turned around Mapi started talking.

"Isa...I am so sorry. I messed up... it's just that she was so desperate to see you and I-"

"Mapi, stop. I don't want to talk about it..." I interrupted her.

"But-" she tries to continue.

"I get it Mapi... you have always been stuck in between us and I am sorry about that, but please just try and stay out of it now. Alexia and I are over and have been for a long time..."

She nodded in agreement.
"Are you ok? You know... after last night?" She asked quietly, placing her hand on my shoulder.

"I really don't want to talk about it"

Our conversation was quickly put to an end when Jonatan finally arrived for our training session. He walked across the pitch towards the group, the brunette captain by his side.

In the rush of the morning I had almost forgotten that I would have to see Alexia again today, but there she was. As I looked at her walking across the pitch, my thoughts kept going back to last night, the moment replaying in my head.

Jonatan's voice quickly snapped me back to reality.
"Hola everybody, we've got a busy session today so let's get started"

"We're going to split you up into teams and play a tournament. Now... we would normally let you pick your own teams, but today we want to see some different people playing together so they have been picked for you..."

There was a collective groan from the group the moment Jonatan said that. Everybody liked to play in certain teams during training. Before I left I always played in a team with Mapi, Alexia, Patri and Pina. We were inseparable back then.

As Jonatan began listing the teams, all I was hoping for was that I wasn't on a team with Alexia.

The moment I heard my name, the anxiety rose up in my chest.
Please not Alexia... Please not Alexia.

"... Team 3 is Isabel, Mapi, Keira, Ingrid and Pina."

Thank you.

In the final game in the tournament we were playing against Alexia's team which was Lucy, Marta, Alexia, Aitana and Mariona. Whoever wins this game would win the tournament.

I tried my hardest to concentrate throughout the game, but somehow Alexia and I were away on the same part of the pitch. Everywhere I looked, she was there. I couldn't get away from her.

In the final few seconds of the game, Alexia had the ball and was running in my direction, towards the goal. The score was currently 1-1 and if Alexia scored, they would win. I stood my ground in an attempt to stop her getting passed, but just as I tried to get the ball from her feet she used her body to push me away, elbowing me in the side in the process. I immediately hunched over and held my ribs, closing my eyes and trying to get some air into my lungs, having been winded from the impact. Alexia had put the ball in the back of the net, celebrating momentarily, before she noticed me, being surrounded by the group.

Mapi and Pina were the first players by my side,  the latter of the two placing her hand on my back.
"Isa are you ok?"

I nodded, but the pain was radiating across my lower ribs with every breath I took.

Standing upright again, still with my hand on my ribs, I noticed Alexia walking over with a concerned look on her face.

Mapi must have noticed too as she quickly jumped to my defense.
"What was that Ale? Seriously... it's only training" 

"I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean too-" Alexia mumbled as she reached the group.
"Are you ok?" She asked, her eyes searching for mine, but never finding them.

"Yeah" I answered, before walking towards the locker room with Pina, her hand still resting on my back.

Once showered and changed, I headed to physio to get my ribs checked, a bruise had already appeared and the ache still remained. After explaining to them what had happened and the pain I was feeling, they did some checks, coming to the conclusion they were just bruised and not broken.

Once finally done for the day, I left the training centre and headed to my car, ready to go home and get some rest. As I opened the car to throw my bag onto the back seat, somebody cleared their throat behind me causing me to quickly turn around.

"Alexia, please not now. I just want to go home." I pleaded.

"I'm just wanted to apologise, I really didn't mean to hurt you... what did the physios say?"

How did she know I had been to see the physios?

"It's ok... it's just bruising. Should be ok in a week or so " I mumbled, turning around about to get in the car.

"Can we go for a coffee at some point?" Alexia asked, causing me to turn back around in shock. I was not expecting that question to come out of her mouth.

"Why?"

"I just think we need to talk..." she trailed off towards the end of the sentence.

"About what Alexia? What else is there to talk about? I asked, the frustration clear in my voice. 

"Everything"

Alexia was right, we needed to clear the air, there was more we needed to talk about, but I didn't know if it was something I could do. Could I sit and talk to her about what happened, without getting upset...
Could I sit and talk to her about what happened, without letting her back in...

"Please Isy... we can't keep avoiding each other forever" Alexia pleaded, her hazel eyes finally meeting mine.

"Yeah... o-ok" I was shocked by my answer. My head was telling me that it wasn't a good idea, but I didn't answer with my head... I answered with my heart.

A small smile appeared on Alexia's face before she replied
"Great... thank you"

I turned around, opened the car door and climbed into the drivers seat and was about to close the door behind me when Alexia's hand held it open, stopping me.

"So...when?" she asked nervously.

"I'll text you"

There was a moment of silence, Alexia's grip on the door loosening.

"You still have my number?" She asked, so quietly that I almost didn't hear her.

"Of course I do Ale..."