Listen to her.

Alexia's POV

The last couple of days had dragged by so slowly. Ever since I had dropped Isy off at the airport, I had been counting down the hours until she would be back.

It was strange. I had spent almost 2 years without Isy in my life and although I missed her, it had become normal, but ever since she has come back it's felt different. Even one day without seeing her felt like too long.

She took up my whole mind.

I had wanted to text her so many times while she had been away, my finger had hovered over the keyboard on my phone for hours as I tried to think of what to write, but no messages were ever sent. I didn't want to bother her. She had gone for some space and to sort her head out, she didn't need me messaging her all the time... as much as I wanted to.

Sunday eventually came and it was game day... it was Isy day. Normally on a game day I would only be focussed on one thing, but today was different, as much as I tried to concentrate on the tactics and game plans for the match, I couldn't. Seeing Isy again was the only thing on my mind. I was excited for her to come back, but a part of me was also worried. I was worried that she had changed her mind while she had been away... what if she didn't want to try things again anymore?

After spending the morning pacing around the house, it was finally time to start my game day routine, the first part of which was dropping Nala off with my mother.

As I pulled up outside my mothers house, my phone buzzed in my pocket. My heart skipped a beat at the sound of the text notification chiming from my phone, it had done every time that I had received a message over the weekend. Each time I had hoped that it would be Isy and this time it actually was.

Isy 💛

I'm on my way, I can't wait to see you! Xx

I can't wait to see you too! Did you have a good time with Ona? Xx

Yeah it was great, but I reallyyyy can't wait to come home now Xx

How come? 👀 Xx

I'm about to board my flight now Ale, I'll see you later! Xx

Are you going to answer my question? 🧐Xx

I will later... I promise 💛 Xx

I really wanted an answer and not getting one had only confused me more.

Once I had put my phone back in my pocket, I climbed out of the car, collecting Nala from the passenger seat before heading inside my family home.

"Hola Mamá!" I called out nervously as I walked in through the front door, quickly placing Nala on the ground.

My mother soon appeared in the hallway with a serious look plastered across her face.
"So... you've got time for your mother today then?!" She hissed.

She was mad.

I hadn't seen her since the night that I had picked Nala up... the same night that I had practically ran away in an attempt to avoid talking about what was happening between Isy and I. She had every right to be upset, but I knew one thing for sure... I couldn't run now.

"I'm sorry Mamá" I mumbled while looking down at the floor.

"Is Isy waiting for you again today!?" She asked, her eyes darting towards the front door.

"No, she's-" I began, but was interrupted almost immediately.

"Good! You've got time to sit down and tell me what's been going on then... haven't you?" She spoke as she grabbed me by the arm and dragged me into the kitchen.

The moment that that we had both sat down at the dining table, my mother shot me an expectant look. She wanted me to talk, but I had no idea what to say... I didn't really know what was happening myself, so how could I explain it to someone else.

"Ale... what's going on?" My mother spoke quietly, her eyes burning at me from across the table.

"Are you and Isa-" she began before I could answer her previous question.

"We're taking things slow..." I interrupted her.

"That's great Ale!"

I sent a quick smile across the table before looking down at my hands and playing with the ring on my pinky finger.

It was great... I was so happy that Isy had given me another chance, but the last 2 days had clouded my mind... I was doubting things. There was one thought that I couldn't get out of my head. Isy deserved better than me. As much as I wanted her back... I had broken heart and didn't deserve to have her back in my life.

"What going on in that head of yours?" My mother asked gently as she reached across the table, placing her hand on top of mine.

"Nothing" I said, forcing a smile onto my face.

"I know you Ale, you're my little girl and I can see that something is bothering you. Please... talk to me"

Tears began to flood my eyes as I listened to my mother speak. She was right, she does know me... sometimes I think she knows me better than I know myself.

I buried my head in my hands, trying to hide the inevitable tears from her, before taking a deep breath and letting my thoughts escape.

"Isy deserves so much better than me, I broke her heart, I walked away from her without even an explanation and now I want her back... because I am in a better place?! I'm not being fair. I'm being selfish. She deserves to be happy. I want her back, but maybe she'll be happier with someone else. I just-"

My mother quickly interrupted me.
"Ale, stop for a second."

I took a few deep breaths, trying to get my breathing under control, before looking up at her.

"You need to fill me in a bit. What's happened between you two since she's been back?"

I told my mother what had happened over the last week or so. The night at the restaurant minus some of the details, the conversation over coffee, what had happened after the game, the kiss, the evening at her apartment and the subsequent Facetime calls.

"Has she told you what she wants... how does she feel?"

"She said that she missed me and that she still loves me, but she wants to take things slowly"

"I think you need to listen to her..." She smiles up at me.

"She still loves you Ale and she wants you back in her life. Stop thinking that she would be happier with someone else, because from everything you have just told me, she clearly doesn't think that..."