Acceptance.

I found it hard making friends growing up, I was an awkward kid who avoided talking to new people and most social situations, but as soon as I stepped on a football pitch that changed. On the pitch I became happy and outgoing, confident in my own abilities it felt like the only place that I was truly accepted.

When I arrived at my first youth camp for spain the first person that I met was Ona. She was in standing in the entrance waiting to get checked in as I entered. We both smiled nervously at each other across the room as we waited for the staff to come over. We were assigned as roommates and that is where our friendship began. We had been roomates at every spain camp since that day, the only exception being when one of us was injured or hadn't been called up.

I hated that we were arguing. She was my best friend and I thought after everything, she would still be there for me, but her hatred for Ale clearly meant more to her than our friendship. I was hurt, hurt that Ona wasn't happy about me being happy again after all that happened, but deep down I knew why.

Flashback 26.03.2021

I was getting ready to pick Ale up from the airport when I got her text. The text that completely changed what I had planned for the next few years of my life.

She didn't get on the flight. She can't do this anymore.

I stood in the hallway, my bag in one hand and my phone in the other, reading the message over and over, hoping that I had read it wrong... hoping that I had misunderstood.

After taking a few seconds to process her words I clicked on Ale's contact and called her, hoping to hear her voice, hoping for some more information, but it kept ringing. The repetitive hum of the phone ringing in my ear felt like I could hear my own heart beating in my chest. Eventually the humming stopped and I was met with her voicemail. I hung up the call and texted her, pleading for her to talk to me.

Ale... please pick up. Let's talk about this, yeah?

I called her again. No answer.

So, that's it then?

Six words was all I got in response, not one of them giving me any form of explanation. She was sorry... really sorry.

By this point I had dropped my bag on the floor and the tears were brimming in my eyes. I was staring at the message when Ona came down the stairs, joining me in the hallway.

"You should get going, you don't want to be late for la reina" she quipped, pushing my shoulder slightly trying to get a reaction from me.

"I-I don't think I need to worry about that" I mumbled, my eyes never leaving the phone screen.

"What are you talking about?"

I couldn't answer, I simply handed my phone over to Ona so that she could see for herself. Her eyes flitted between me and the screen as she read the message before she wrapped her arms around me and pulled me into her. The tears started to fall immediately and it felt like they didn't stop for weeks.

Ona was my rock throughout everything, just like she had been since we first met. She picked me up off the floor and put me back together again. She was the only one who saw how hurt I was and she didn't want it to happen again.

Alexia's POV
Isy hadn't spoken to Ona since their argument last week and I could tell that it was affecting her, even though she tried her best to hide it. We had enjoyed our weekend off together, having dinner with my mum, taking nala to the beach and spending hours lying in each other's arms, but her mind always seemed to be somewhere else. I tried to bring it up, but she quickly changed the subject whenever I did telling me she was fine.

Isy had gone out for run whilst I cooked dinner. She always used running as a way to clear her head when something was bothering her, which was a clear indication that she wasn't fine. I knew what was going on in her head. She missed Ona, she wanted to forgive her for whatever she had said, but thought by doing so she would be agreeing with her and in turn hurting me. I couldn't do anything about it though because she wouldn't talk to me.

I was busy making a salad when my phone buzzed on the counter. I finished chopping the tomatoes and washed my hands before checking it. It was Ona, the last person who I was expecting. I hadn't spoken to her in so long, of course we had seen each other at spain camps, but our interactions had been few and far between and always professional, sticking to the subject of football and nothing else.

Ona

Please don't hurt her again.

I won't Ona... I love her

I know you do, but that didn't stop you last time...

I messed up... I was stupid, but I'm not letting her go again

Please text her, she's really upset about what happened. Don't fall out because of me

I didn't get a response, I wasn't expecting to. Maybe I had spoken out of line, maybe I shouldn't have got involved, but I hated seeing Isy so upset.

I put my phone back on the counter and continued with dinner. A few minutes later I heard the key turn in the door, followed by the sound of Nala's feet on the hardwood floor as she ran to meet Isy.

"Hey you! how was your run?" I greeted her as she walked into the kitchen, her face glistening with seat and her breathing heavy.

"Good" she smiled, heading towards the sink and getting herself a glass of water, gulping it down quickly.

I walked up behind her, placing my hands on her hips and leaning forward to place a kiss on her cheek. She looked amazing, there was something about the post-run glow that made her even more beautiful.

"I'm all sweaty Ale"

"I don't mind" I mumbled, sliding my hands under her top and placing them on her toned stomach, while resting my head onto her shoulder.
"I like it actually" I whispered into her ear, my lips brushing against her skin.

She turned around so that she was facing me, placing a peck on my lips before escaping my embrace and heading towards the stairs.
"We can resume this later. I need a shower!" she called as she left.

Isy's POV
After eating dinner, we settled down for the evening. I was lying on the sofa watching tv, my head resting in Ale's lap as she ran her fingers through my hair when my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out and checked the notification to see it was a text from Ona. I felt anxious. Part of me didn't want to read it, thinking she would be continuing with her previous argument, but I couldn't ignore her again.

Ona

I'm sorry Is, I shouldn't have reacted like that. I don't know if I can forgive Ale for how she treated you, but I don't want to lose you because of it xx

I'm sorry too. You don't have to forgive her Ona, but I have and I need you to accept that xx

I can do that xx
I love you so much Is, it's good to see you happy again xx

I love you too xx