Tests.

T/W: Mentions of miscarriage

"Mami might have a baby in her tummy Jordi" Ale smiled at our son as he sat in his high chair eating the blueberry pancakes that she had made for him for breakfast.

"What do you think? Do you want a baby brother or a baby sister?" She continued.

We did our first embryo transfer 3 weeks ago and today was the day that we were due to take the test. Ale had been so excited ever since we went to the hospital for the procedure, talking nonstop about baby names, what theme she wanted to decorate their nursery in and what she thought they would look like and I was too, but alongside my excitement was also anxiety.

We got pregnant with Jordi on our first try, our first transfer ended up sticking and becoming our sweet little boy, but the likelihood of that happening twice was extremely low and I knew that.

My symptoms with Jordi were strong, I knew that I was pregnant before I even took the test. I felt nauseous every morning, my hormones were all over the place and my breasts ached like they never had before, but this time around I felt nothing. I tried to keep my hopes up and stay positive, but deep down I knew that the test was going to be negative.

And it was.

"Negative" I mumbled as I flipped the test over in my hand.

Ale who was stood beside me at the bathroom counter sighed in disappointment as I spoke, before immediately wrapping her arms around my shoulders and pulling me in tightly against her chest.

"Are you ok?" She asked quietly before kissing my forehead.

"Yeah... I didn't think that I was pregnant anyway. I knew with Jordi, I didn't feel anything this time"

The second attempt went the same way, ending in a negative test just like the 3rd, 4th and 5th attempts that followed. Each time became more and more heartbreaking, every negative test broke a bit of each of us. Our hope was fading...

Our 6th transfer ended differently though, taking the test had become a monthly ritual that we didn't pay as much attention to as we did at the beginning. I woke up, peed on the stick and left it on the counter while I got Jordi ready for the day and Ale got herself ready for training.

"Have you seen my hairbrush?!" Ale called down the hall.

"It's in the bathroom" I quickly replied, busy trying to get Jordi dressed and ready to leave the house for our coffee date with Alba.

"Did you check this?" Ale appeared in the doorway of Jordi's room, a wide smile spread across her face as she stood with the pregnancy test in her hand.

"Oh- no. I forgot that even took it" I answered as I fought to get Jordi's shoes onto his feet.
"Jordi please, just let- just let me put your shoes on" I struggled.

"You're pregnant Isy" Ale said happily as she walked toward me.

"I'm..." I mumbled, the shock rendering me speechless as I looked up at my wife who was holding the test out towards me.

"It's positive"

"I'm pregnant..."

"We're having a baby!!" She cheered, rushing the short distance across the room towards Jordi and I, pulling me to my feet and wrapping her arms around my waist before gently lifting me off the ground.