6.

The glum tone in Sol's voice did not go amiss. The frown on Anakin's face deepened and Obi-wan sensed the extra tension in the air. Sol kept her face straight and even went as far as to force a smile, but it fooled no one.

'Did you say Alderaan, Master Kenobi?' Padme thankfully cut in, taking the attention off Sol for a moment's relief. Obi-wan's gaze switched to the short senator in front of him and noticed a concerned look on her face. Everyone moved to the sofas in the middle of the room where Padme took a seat with her company standing behind her. Sol placed herself next to Obi-wan, who was beside Anakin. The three Jedi faced the senator, who awaited Obi-wan's reply.

'Yes, m'lady. Senator Bail Organa requested them along with Chancellor Palpatine. I'm sure it is about the recent attacks on your life-'

'I don't need more security,' she cut him off. 'I need answers. I want to know who is trying to kill me.'

'We're here to protect you, Senator, not to start an investigation.'

'We will find out who is trying to kill you, Padme,' Anakin said suddenly. 'I promise you.'

Sol raised an eyebrow at Anakin's statement, and she saw how Obi-wan's face twisted at his student. He looked frustrated, meaning that this wasn't the first time he had spoken out of tone. It was not the Jedi way to make promises and be sentimental. Missions were to be conducted with a separation from the subject, even Sol knew that.

'We are not going to exceed our mandate, my young Padawan learner,' Obi-wan held back venom and he kept composure in front of the senator and her company.

'I'm sure Anakin means it in the best interest of protecting the senator, Master Kenobi,' Sol vouched for the Skywalker whose hands were fidgeting together. He seemed to speak without much thought and Sol imagined that Anakin's mouth had gotten him into some annoying situations in the past.

She wasn't sure why she was suddenly making excuses for Anakin considering how rude and disrespectful she found him. Maybe it was because Sol knew how it felt to be left out in the presence of a Master.

'We are not going through this exercise again, Anakin,' Obi-wan scolded without paying attention to the female Padawan beside him. 'You will pay attention to my lead.'

'Why?'

Sol swear she groaned aloud. If she ever spoke to Master Yoda in the way Anakin did to his Master, she would not be alive and well in Senator Amidala's penthouse. It was like a friend's parents fight in front of you; awkward and embarrassing. She dared not look down the line of Jedi who were sending each other glares, which she didn't want to get caught in. Instead, she looked to Padme, who was the same as her. Her lips were pursued at the two who were meant to be her protectors.

'Why else do you think we were assigned to her, if not to find the killer?' Anakin said defensively. 'Protection is a job for local security, not Jedi! And there's three of us here now, and it's overkill, Master. Investigation is implied in our mandate.'

'We will do as the council has instructed, and you will learn your place, young one.'

Anakin tried to hold his Master's stare but faltered. With Padme and Sol in the room, he had lost his manners out of nervousness and for the need to appear like the Jedi Knight he wanted to be. But he realised he had only embarrassed himself with Obi-wan getting the better of him once again.

'Perhaps with merely your presence, the mysteries surrounding this threat will be revealed,' Padme attempted to finish the conversation to savour everyone's sanity. 'Now, if you will excuse me, I will retire.'

How Sol wish she could do the same.

---

Night fell over the city and the penthouse's living space was dimly lit. Padme went to sleep in her bedroom at peace with the thought of three Jedi present to protect her. With her silk sheets over her sleeping figure, the Jedi assigned themselves to different areas of the entire apartment building to be the eyes and ears of security.