31.

'How come you still haven't reset Artoo? Isn't it protocol to reset droids after a certain amount of time?'

'Only when them gaining humanoid-like emotions becomes an issue. And considering Artoo's not owned by the senate anymore, I get to decide whether he needs a reset.'

Anakin was underneath his ETA-2 starfighter on a creeper. With his back supported by the tool, Anakin worked on the ship above him with a toolbox next to him on the floor. Anakin, Sol and R2-D2 sat in the hanger underneath the Jedi Temple, where the ships of the Jedi were stored when they weren't required for transportation. Personal ships of Jedi and carrier ships were stationed there, and droids worked on the repairs and upkeep in the solitude of the underground hanger.

Sol sat on the wing of Anakin's starfighter with her legs dangling over the edge. Below her was the exposed legs of the tinkerer, who was the culprit of the sounds of clanking metal and twisting valves that could be heard from underneath the ship. R2 was sat on the ground, having recently been updated by Anakin. The droid had his covers taken off to have his circuits surveyed before Anakin was able to make some personal adjustments that could prove to be useful on missions. Afterall, R2 was a gift from Padme, as a sign of her appreciation for being her bodyguard in the previous year.

'You know, he's technically my droid, too,' Sol said as she looked at the R2 unit below her. 'Padme said it was a gift for both of us, and Threepio went with her, remember?'

'Well, since Threepio was my droid, he was never yours to trade,' Anakin rolled out from under the ship to send her a smirk with raised eyebrows. 'And besides, Artoo doesn't even like you.'

'That's not true! Artoo, do you like me?'

A series of beeps sounded and the red light on his front panel lit up as he talked. Sol looked blankly at the droid and blinked in confusion, before looking back down at Anakin from the wing to see he held his same smirk on his perfect sculpted face.

'I didn't understand that. What did he say?' Sol asked and Anakin rolled his eyes, before sliding back under the ship. The tinkering was heard again, and Sol huffed, knowing that she wasn't going to get an answer out of the Skywalker. She looked back to R2, trying to give a pleading look for her previous question. She saw the front panel open, and a metal rod folded out to bend like an arm. Currents of electricity buzzed from its tip and the droid looked directly at her as it showed its gesture. He then folded the arm back up into his body and the panel closed, sounding some more beeps.

She didn't know what R2 meant, but she hoped that he had motioned a thumbs up, and not another rude gesture.

'Why did you go and see Padme yesterday?' Anakin asked, his voice loud to be heard from underneath the ship.

'Just to catch up. She says she has been busy.'

'I bet. I know Chancellor Palpatine has been working non-stop at finding these separatist bases.'

'How do you know about Chancellor Palpatine's paranoia?'

Sol watched as Anakin rolled himself out from underneath his ship and sat up on the creeper. Without turning to her, Anakin called for R2 to dispense him his lightsaber. R2 was holding it in the compartment in his head, and Sol didn't want to ask what he would need his weapon for when tinkering with a starfigher. She was more interested in how Anakin was aware of the chancellor and his endeavours with the separatist movement.

'Ani?'

Anakin sighed at the second call for an answer. With his saber in hand, Anakin let his hand fall with his elbows leaning on his propped-up knees. He reluctantly turned his head up to Sol and looked at her with a small grimace. Sol raised her eyebrows in question and waited for Anakin to speak.