67.

It was strange to be sitting with the Jedi Council while Anakin was standing in the middle. Sol was yet to feel relaxed enough to lean back in her chair like the other Jedi Masters did. Her back was stiff as it held her posture rigid and with her hair falling over her shoulders, Sol still didn't feel like she belonged on the Council yet. Especially with the current conference, where they would break the harsh news to Anakin, who stood with a hopeful smile on his face.

'Anakin Skywalker, we have approved your appointment to the Council as the Chancellor's personal representative,' Master Windu addressed him first. He was lounging back in his chair with a particularly unimpressed expression.

'I will do my best to uphold the principles of the Jedi Order,' Anakin said, trying to appear prideful but not smug in front of Master Windu. The two were never able to get a long.

'Allow this appointment lightly, the Council does not,' Master Yoda said from his small chair. 'Disturbing, is this move by Chancellor Palpatine.'

'I understand...'

Sol knew that Anakin didn't like how Master Yoda spoke about the Chancellor, but he resisted his argumentative side for the sake of the situation. Sol saw the strained smile on Anakin's face, and he hid his hands in the sleeves of his robe that were undoubtably clenched into fists. At the thought of the promotion, Anakin held his tongue, because he could jeopardise his opportunity of becoming Jedi Master on the Jedi Council. While knowing this, Sol began to find it difficult to keep her stare on the centre of the room.

'You are on this Council,' Master Windu started, and Anakin's smile began to grow. 'But we do not grant you the rank of Master.'

Sol felt Anakin's shock through the Force. As if a thud sounded throughout the conference room, Sol's heart jumped, and her feet fidgeted against the tiled floor. Through the strong Force signatures that circled the orange glow of Anakin Skywalker, Sol felt Obi-wan's teal flame quiver at the intensity of the room. There was doubt that Sol's white glow did the same as Anakin's dropped jaw and his betrayed-glazed eyes looked around the room at Master Windu's statement.

Anakin's eyes fell on Obi-wan and Sol, the two people he trusted the most within the Council, but they struggled to meet his eye. Obi-wan put his hand to his beard, which showed he was deep in thought, or perhaps he felt awkward under his ex-Padawan's stare. He knew that Anakin wanted to walk over and force the man to look at him, but no matter the outcome, Obi-wan couldn't bring himself to look at his student. 

When he saw that he wouldn't receive his ex-Master's support, Anakin looked to where Sol squirmed in her chair. Through the burning hole he seared through her cheek, Sol glanced up once and immediately regretted joining the Jedi Council. He looked hurt that she had known this would happen, but that she kept it from him. He understood that Council meetings and topics were confidential, but his judgement was disturbed by the blunt force of betrayal.

'What?!' Anakin looked back to Master Windu. 'How can you do this?! This is outrageous. It's unfair!'

Sol glanced at Master Windu and Master Yoda, who made sure to stare back at Anakin without faltering in fear. Anakin intimidated most, but the Grand Master knew about the Skywalker's unpredictable outbursts. And Master Windu had a certain dislike for Anakin that everyone knew about, so any attempt by the hysterical young man to appear above him, was futile.

'I'm more powerful than any of you! How can you be on the Council and not be a Master?!'

'Take a seat, young Skywalker,' Master Windu's tone was daring. He gestured his hand to the free seat that was made on the other side of the room, which Sol was relieved about.

'Forgive me, Master...'

Sol's chest ached when she saw Anakin's crestfallen face turn and trudge over to the chair. The outrage and betrayal that radiated through the Force had calmed but were now replaced with the shame and embarrassment from Anakin's outburst. The silence among the Council didn't help, as besides Master Windu and Master Yoda, everyone felt discomfort after Anakin's outrage. With shifting eyes, Jedi Masters avoided looking at Anakin who was hunched in his chair with his attention on the tiled floor.