002: Auditons

Summer gets home to find her sister sat on the couch watching TV

"Hey El. Where's mom and dad?" Summer asks.
Summer wasn't sad that her parents weren't home, in fact she was relived. She was just confused as to why they weren't here as neither of them worked. Summer ended up having to pick up two jobs over the summer because both her parents quit their jobs saying Summer was now old enough to start work and pay for everything they need.
"I don't know. They weren't here when I got back." Ellie answers.
"You've been here by yourself for an hour and a half. How did you get home?" Summer asks.
"I walked." Ellie replies.
"El, you know you shouldn't be doing that. You're only nine. How did you get the school to let you go?" Summer questions now worrying about her sister's safety at school.
"Summy, my school is literally two streets away. I'm fine to walk by myself." Ellie reassures her sister. "Why are you always so protective over me?"
Ellie had no idea what their parents were really like, Summer made a promise to herself ever since Ellie was born she would not tell Ellie what their parents were really like until she was an adult. She remade the promise to herself when stuff became physical. Anytime Ellie would get in trouble Summer would tell her to go to her room, which she did, and she would take the punishment without a second thought. She couldn't let her little sister get hurt.
"Your my little sister, El. I got to look out for you." Summer says sitting down beside her.
Ellie goes to say something but gets cut off by the door slamming open.
"Summer Marie Jones!" Annie Jones shouts through the house.
"Hey, El. Why don't you go upstairs, I'll be up to play dolls with you in a bit, okay?" Summer tells her little sister.
"Okay Summy." Ellie says before going upstairs.
"Where have you been young lady?" Chris Jones asks as him and his wife storm into the living room.
"At school." Summer answers.
"Well, we know that's not true as the school called us to make sure you got home okay, after you left at lunch. We've been out looking for you!" Annie says.
"Why do you care where I was? It's not like you actually care about me!" Summer replies standing up.
"You little brat! We've given you everything you've asked for and this is how you treat us?" Chris asks.
"I have had to get two jobs because you both decided to quit yours, which forced me to get money so I could feed me and Ellie, but you still eat all the food meaning me and Ellie still barely have anything!" Summer says.
"You ungrateful brat, that's the least you could do after all we did for you up until now." Chris tells her.
"What have you done for me? Absolutely nothing!" Summer replies.
That's when it happened. It was an hour until her parents were satisfied. Telling her to go upstairs. She struggled but managed to get to the top.
"Summy can, you come play?" Ellie asks from the doorway to her room which she had run to after hearing her sister coming up the stairs.
"I'm a bit to tired to play, El. But why don't you come into my room and we can watch a movie." Summer suggests.
"What movie are you thinking?" Ellie asks.
"High School Musical?" Summer suggests.
"let's do it." Ellie says with a smile before running to her sisters room causing Summer to let out a small laugh before following.
High School Musical wasn't a bad choice of film, she got to spend time with her sister, watching a movie they both loved, it was actually Ellie's favourite film ever, and also she could use it as practice for the auditions tomorrow.