016: Dropped Out

It was the first day back after thanksgiving break

It was the first day back after thanksgiving break. The cast were going to the auditorium for rehearsal only to find it destroyed and fireman walking around.
"Excuse me kids." A fire-women says walking past them.
"Oh my gosh. What happened?" Nini asks.
"It's okay. Nobody was hurt." Miss Jenn says walking over. "There was a small fire in the theatre over the holiday and the sprinklers did there job."
"We're almost done in here, just have to finish up in the faculty room." A fire-women says walking over to Miss Jenn. "Some circuits blew in there over the break. Unfortunately, the show cannot go on.
"What?" Miss Jenn asks as the whole cast look at each other.
"Fire ripped through half of your costumes and the sprinklers ruined a bunch of your sets. I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to red tag the entire backstage area for a month at least." The fire-women explains.
"Did she just say costumes?" Kourtney asks as the women walks away.
"Okay, okay. Listen up." Miss Jenn says turning around. "Hug your neighbour, take a moment, and let's reconvene in the cafeteria after school to talk about options. Summer and Ricky spread the word."
"Got it. Yeah, of course." Summer says briefly looking up from her phone as she was messaging Gina.
Summer then walks away before anymore could be said.

__________

Summer had been feeling down all day. It was now after school and the whole cast were in the cafeteria. Summer was sat next to Ricky who was trying to talk to her but she just blanked him out.
"Okay guys." Miss Jenn says. "Wait, where's Gina?"
"I think she's going through a family thing right now." Ashlyn says.
"Okay, prayers to our Gina." Miss Jenn says. "I'm really not sure what to say. You've all worked so hard. I've seen all of you grow so much. But if we don't have a theatre, we don't have a show."
"Come on, Miss Jenn, we've gotta do something." Carlos says.
"I think we... I don't know. I guess we could consider other venues?" Miss Jenn says.
Everyone starts naming different theatres they could use.
"What about the El Ray?" Carlos asks.
"Yes." Everyone says.
"Yes, brilliant, dude." EJ says.
"Any other ideas?" Miss Jenn asks.
"Miss Jenn, I feel like you just had a really weird reaction to what I just said." Carlos says.
"Sorry, what did you say?" Miss Jenn asks.
"Carlos is asking if we can try and use the El Rey Theatre." Summer says.
"My uncle Ruben is the listing agent, and the last thing they had in there was a fashion show, like, four years ago." Carlos says.
Everyone was looking up the theatre while Carlos called his uncle.
"Si, si, si." Carlos's uncle says.
"Sounds like a yes to me!" Ashlyn says as everyone cheers.
"The El Ray Theatre it is!" Miss Jenn says. "Wildcats, lets grab all the costumes and props that didn't get damaged and let's load out."
Everyone starts to leave while Summer hangs back to talk to Miss Jenn.
"Miss Jenn, can I talk to you." Summer asks.
"Of course you can, Summer. What's going on?" Miss Jenn asks.
"I don't want to add more to your plate, but uhm... I think it's better if I step back and let Nini play Gabriella." Summer says.
"Why do you think that?" Miss Jenn asks.
"My parents, me ending up in the hospital a few weeks ago, Landon, my sister getting taken into foster care, my sister not wanting to come to the show, Gina, the fire!" Summer lists off. "It all has one common denominator that it effects. Me. So If I step away, then everything will go fine from here on out. It's what's best for the show."
"Summer..." Miss Jenn tries.
"Plus, I'm not even half as talented as Nini." Summer says.
"But Summer this is your dream." Miss Jenn says.
"I know, but, I guess, some dreams are just that. Dreams. They don't always come true." Summer says.
"Summer, you are so talented. Don't let anyone stop you from achieving your dreams, because you have what it takes." Miss Jenn tells her.
"Thanks Miss Jenn, but, me stepping back is what's best for the show. You want to best people out there. I'm not one of them." Summer says. "I'm sorry."
Summer then walks away ignoring Miss Jenn's calls for her to come back.

"Hey Summer!" Summer looks from where the voice was calling her to see Stephanie with her sister and her sister's friend.
"Hey Steph." Summer says walking over.
"What you doing? I thought you had rehearsal's for the show." Stephanie says.
"I just dropped out of it." Summer says.
"Why?" Daisy Grayson asks.
"Because, it just... I don't know." Summer sighs. "Just... happened I guess."
"You really need to step out of your comfort zone, Summer." Daisy tells her.
"I know." Summer says.
"Who wants to go for a ride?" Lillian, Stephanie's older sister, asks grabbing her car keys.
"i kind of just want to go home." Summer says.
"We'll drop you off then." lillian asks. "Get in the car."
"Thanks Lillian." Summer says letting out a small smile before getting into the car.

__________

Ricky, Nini, Big Red, Kourtney, EJ, Ashlyn, Carlos, Seb and Alice were all waiting in the cafeteria for Summer to turn up.
"Have any of you guys seen her since we all went separate ways to get everything?" Ricky asks, worrying about his best friend.
"No." The others all say at the same time.
"Okay, uhm..." Miss Jenn says coming over really stressed. "So, Summer just dropped out."
"What?" They all say shocked.
Miss Jenn then explained everything that Summer said.
"I'll go find her." Ricky tells everyone.
"Please do, and try to convince her to come back." Miss Jenn says.
"I will." Ricky says.
"She's just got back home. My mom just messaged me." Nini tells him.
"Okay, thanks." Ricky says before running out.

__________

Summer was sat in the kitchen of Nini's house when Carol walks in with Ricky following her.
"Summer, someone's here for you." Carol says causing Summer to look up at them.
"Ricky? What are you doing here?" Summer asks. "You should be a El Ray."
"So should you." Ricky replies as Carol leaves.
"Ricky..." Summer sighs.
"Summer." Ricky replies.
"I dropped out." Summer tells him.
"Oh, I know. Miss Jenn told us." Ricky says.
"Then why are you here?" Summer asks.
"Because, I'm not letting you drop out. I need you. I can't do this without you." Ricky tells her.
"But now Nini's Gabriella. That's why you did all of this. To get Nini back." Summer says.
"Sum, I didn't do it for Nini." Ricky admits. "I did it for you."
"Why me?" Summer asks.
Ricky wanted to tell her, he really did. The only thing stopping him was the idea of Summer not feeling the same way.
"to make it up to you after what I said to you on the first day back." Ricky tells her. "Sum, I can't lose you."
"You won't lose me just because I dropped out of the show, Rick." Summer tells him. "I'll be in the front row, I promise."
"No you won't, because you will be on stage. I ain't letting you give up." Ricky tells her.
"You think I'm giving up?" Summer asks.
"I didn't mean it like that, Sum." Ricky tells him causing her to slowly nod. "Do you remember seventh grade and somehow managed to convince me to watch 'Mamma Mia' when it was out in cinema's for that one week."
Summer smiles as she looks down laughing.
"And you yelled 'How the hell can the walk in public after bursting out into song and dance?'" Summer says mocking Ricky.
"'Because they aren't as lame as you.'" Ricky says mocking Summer's response to that question he asked a few years ago.
The two burst out laughing.
"How do you always do that?" Summer asks.
"Do what?" Ricky asks.
"How do you always make me feel better, even when I'm at my worse?" Summer asks.
"I guess I just have that talent." Ricky says with a laugh. "But it's the same with you. You always make me feel better, no matter how bad it is."
"Oh, I do, do I?" Summer asks teasingly.
"You really do." Ricky says with a laugh. "Which is why I can't let you drop out of the musical."
"Ricky, Miss Jenn would never let me back. Not after the way I left things." Summer says.
"Summer, Miss Jenn wants you back." Ricky says.
"Okay, come on then." Summer says with a laugh as she gets up.
She tells Nini's mom's she was leaving before walking out with the curly haired boy she was lucky enough to call her best friend.