042: Let You Go

Summer was laying on her bed before dinner when she got a voicemail

Summer was laying on her bed before dinner when she got a voicemail... from Ricky.

'Hey Summer. I know we aren't on speaking terms right now, but um... I saw the video you and the others made. Big Red sent it to me. It looked really good. That's not why I'm sending this message right now, though. I wrote a song and I wanted you to hear it. You don't have to listen if you don't want to. You can just stop listening and delete the message now. I would understand. But uhm... if you want to listen... here it is.'

Summer stops the message a minute taking a minute to think before playing it.

Close the book before it turns to tragedy
Tear the tree-house down, give up the fantasy
Nothin' to regret since the day we met
Glad we took a chance making our own world
Perfectly imperfect like it had to be

Who thought that one first kiss
would turn into two heartbreaks?
'Cause since we were young, I swore
I'd never walk away

I love you so much that I've got to let you go
It couldn't last forever
And I hope you find better
I can't forget us, can't pretend we ain't broken
It was good together
Now I've got to let you go

I'll always be in love with who we used to be
I'll save the photographs and keep the memories
The ribbon in your hair, the secrets that we shared
The way that you would stare at me across the room
We laughed until we cried, it feels like yesterday

Who thought that one first kiss
Would turn into two heartbreaks?
'Cause since we were young, I swore
That I'd never walk away

I love you so much that I gotta let you go
It couldn't last forever
And I hope you find better
I can't forget us, can't pretend we ain't broken
It was good together
Now I got to let you go

I'm picking up pieces left and right
Now that out hearts are both untied
It'll take time, it will take time
No one can say we didn't try
I'll think of these days all my life
It'll take time, it'll take time

I love you so much that I gotta let you go
It couldn't last forever
And I hope you find better, yeah
I can't forget us, can't pretend we ain't broken
It was good together
Now I've got to let you go

'So... yeah. That's the song. I, uhm... I guess I'll talk to you when we go back to school. Or whenever you're ready. Uhm... yeah. Bye Sum.'

The voice message ends and Summer just stays laying there, staring at the ceiling tears streaming down her face.
"Hey Sum, din..." Nini starts coming into the room, stopping when she sees her best friend looking completely broken on her bed. "Oh my god. Sum, what happened?"
"I'm pretty sure Ricky just broke up with me." Summer replies quietly.
"What do you mean, 'pretty sure'?" Nini asks.
"He sent me a voice message and sung a song which basically sounded like he was breaking up with me." Summer replies, still not even daring to look at Nini.
"Oh Sum." Nini says, going over and laying next to Summer hugging her tightly, causing Summer to break down clutching onto Nini's arm. "It's gonna be okay."
"I'm sorry." Summer says, when she had calmed down slightly.
"Why are you sorry?" Nini asks.
"This is your ex, and I'm here crying about how he's now broken up with me." Summer says, wiping her eyes.
"No, Sum, it's okay. I don't even like Ricky anymore. I haven't liked him for a long time now. It's okay." Nini reassures her.
"I just, don't know what I'm going to do. I love him, so much. I thought we were going to be together forever. And now that we're not... it feels like everything is just falling apart." Summer admits.
"It's going to be okay, Sum. I promise you. School starts in a couple days, maybe you can talk to him and figure things out." Nini suggests.
"I don't know if I want to talk to him." Summer confesses.
"Well, you don't have to if you don't want to." Nini says. "Why don't we go down and have some dinner."
"I'm not hungry." Summer says.
"Sum, you have to eat something." Nini tells her.
"I'm seriously not hungry, Neens." Summer says, turning away.
"Okay." Nini says quietly.
Nini gets up and walks towards the door, turning around and taking one more look at her best friend before walking out.

About an hour after Nini left, Summer had turned her phone completely off and had connected her headphones to her tablet putting it face down on her bedside table. She was listening to music when she felt the presence of someone behind her.
She turns around to see Mama D placing a glass of water on her bedside table while Mama Carol does the same with a plate of food. Summer slowly takes her headphones out confused.
"It's there if you want it." Mama D tells her.
"You need to eat something, Sum." Mama Carol adds before they both walk towards the door.
They both then turn around.
"We know... about you and Ricky. Nini told us." Mama D tells her.
"I knew she would." Summer admits.
"You'll be okay, Summer. You just need to give it time." Mama Carol says, as her and Mama D sit with Summer on the bed. "This pain isn't going to last forever."
"Whatever you need, we want you to know you can tell us." Mama D adds causing Summer to nod sadly.
"Thank you." Summer says.
"You don't have to talk about it right now, but you can talk about it to us whenever you are ready." Mama Carol says.
Summer nods before they both kiss her head.
"We'll give you some time. Eat as much of the food as you can, have a drink, come to us whenever you are ready. If you want to spend a day or two in bed then you can, but you can't spend forever in bed, okay?" Mama D says gently.
Summer gives them a small smile and nod before the two leave.

__________

"Okay, Sum, it's time to get up, you've been here for 3 days now. It's the first day back to school. We've got rehearsals. Come on." Nini says.
"Can I just stay home today." Summer says. "I really don't want to see..."
"I know. You don't even have to talk to him unless you're performing. But you have to get up. You can't stay in bed forever." Nini says.
"Nini, please." Summer says sitting up.
"Sum, it'll be okay. I'll be with you all day, and everyone is here for you. You want to see everyone else don't you?" Nini asks causing Summer to nod. "Okay then, get up."
Nini leaves and Summer watches her before falling back. She stares at the ceiling for a little while, before finally turning her phone on for the first days in 3 days. When she it turned on, she got bombarded with text from everyone, apart from Ricky. She then saw loads of comments on her last post. She decided to read some.

'The fact she made this on the spot shows how amazing she is at singing and song writing.'
'Your voice is amazing!'
'Someone must have hurt her. I hope everything is okay.'
'I can't be the only one who hears the hurt in her voice, right?'
'Hope your doing okay, Summer, just know you are amazing and my idol. Your music has inspired me so much. So thank you.'

After reading a few comments Summer decided to get up. All she knew was she was not ready to see Ricky at rehearsals today.