093: Opportunity Of A Lifetime

"It was a month before the first day of school last year

"It was a month before the first day of school last year." Miss Jenn says. "I was still living in a neighbourhood of New York City called Hoboken. I was at an audition for 'Wicked' when none other then Alyson Reed sat down next to me. And I was talking to her about how my mother texted me telling me the old drama teacher here retired. And she told me I should do it. I guess seeing her was a sign. She's the one who gave me the idea for 'High School Musical' and Ms Darbus' power ballad."
"Full, body chills." Ricky says, once Miss Jenn was down explaining the story.
"And that's how the story ends." Miss Jenn says. "Oh goodness, I almost forgot. Gina, would you give me a hand with these?"
"Oh yeah, what's this?" Gina asks, as Miss Jenn hands her a few small bags.
"Uh, these are wrapped gifts. They're gratitude journals for all of you." Miss Jenn says, handing everyone a bag. "For the movie. And I guess for our little show too."
"So that's it? 'High School Musical' is over?" Ricky asks.
"Jennifer, I thought we discussed this." Principal Gutierrez says, coming into the room.
"I was just dismissing them, Principal Gutierrez." Miss Jenn tells him. "Yes, Ricky. It's over. but you got lives to live. And loves to love. And all good things must come to an end."
"Well guys, we had a good run then." Summer says, trying to be positive.
"We just got here, though." Maddox says to Jet.
"Uhm, my dad's here. Me, Summer and Ellie should probably go." Ashlyn says.
Summer and Ricky share a look before Summer looks at Ashlyn and Ellie who were leaving.
"I'm going to get a lift with Ricky." Summer tells them, causing the two girls to nod before leaving.
"i have to finalise layout for yearbook, so I should..." Kourtney says, before leaving as well.
"I'm suppose to clean up the coffee truck and bring Corbin a vanilla latte before his jet takes off." Seb says.
"I'll help." Carlos says.
"Wow,I can't believe you guys actually tried to convince me there was a point to this." Jet says to Summer and Ricky.
"Jet..." Summer says.
Carlos, Seb, Jet and Maddox all leave.
"It was a good time while it lasted." Alice says.
"The best." Stephanie agrees.
The two girls say a quite goodbye before leaving.
"Jennifer..." Principal Gutierrez starts.
"Give her a minute." Mr Mazzara snaps. "These are her children."
Mr Mazzara and Principal Gutierrez then leave.
"Uh, Ricky, could you get the lights on the way out?" Miss Jenn asks.
"What do I write in a gratitude journal?" Ricky asks.
"Anything you're grateful for, honey." Miss Jenn tells him.
"This is what I'm grateful for." Ricky asks looking at Summer, then to Gina and Miss Jenn.
"I am so grateful I got to be your teacher." Miss Jenn tells the three teenagers she considered her children.
"You were more then just a teacher." Summer tells her.
"It's okay, Summer. Being your teacher was enough." Miss Jenn says.
The four of them then they hear signing from the stage. The all slowly walk towards the stage, when they get there they see Emmy on stage singing 'Dreams Don't Die' from the new 'High School Musical 4' film. While they were listening to Emmy singing, Ricky grabs Summers hand. Summer smiles at him before walking closer to him. Wrapping her arms around his waist as he wraps his around her shoulders, Summer cuddling into him.

By the time Emmy finished the song everyone else was there. They all clap running over. Summer smiles, as Ellie and Emmy hug.
"They should be the future of this department." Gina says, standing next to Summer
"They should be the future period." Ricky says.
"Miss Jenn we have to save the show. For the next generation." Kourtney says. "I said it and now it cannot be unsaid."
"I just don't know how." Miss Jenn tells her.
"Oh come on, Jennifer. Trust the process." Alyson Reed says as her and Bart Johnson appear. Everyone freaks out, while Summer goes over and hugs the two. "Well, we heard from Emmy that your drama department was in trouble."
"Coach and Durbus could never agree on anything." Bart says, Summer goes back over to stand next to Ricky. "But, well, Bart and Alyson can. Your program is worth saving. We're donating a quarter of our salaries from 'High School Musical 4'."
"How much is that if I may ask?" Miss Jenn asks, Alyson then whispers something to her. "I am underpaid. but at this point we don't even have a stage manager and the show is meant to be next week."
"I could always call Natalie." Seb suggests.
"Seb, honey, hush." Carlos tells him.
"I got stage management covered." Maddox tells Miss Jenn.
"But half of our ensemble quit. Three of them actually have mono." Miss Jenn says. "Who's gonna play Sharpay's assistant? Who's going to play Couch Bolton?Am I actually playing Ms Darbus?"
"Yes." Alyson tells her.
"Ricky Bowen, please report to the counselling office." Mr Mazzara says over the PA speaker.
"What did you do?" Summer asks him.
"I don't know." Ricky says, walking away.
"hey." Summer says following him, Ricky turns to loom at her. "Before you go. We didn't really talk about the college trip."
"I didn't really want to." Ricky admits. "look, someday soon, before I am ready. I'm gonna have to figure out what life looks like next. College or... I don't know. I don't really like to think about it."
"they don't allow bottle water at Lewis. Total win for the environment. I learned that on my visit." Kourtney says, coming over, resting an arm on Summer's shoulder. "Why do y'all sound so... Oh. I'm not a part of the conversation. I'm sorry, y'all. Bye- bye."
"All good." Ricky tells her, as she walks away.
"Um, okay, so I guess we have a lot to discuss then." Summer says.
"Yeah, how about tomorrow?" Ricky asks.
"Or the next day." Summer suggests.
"Or after opening night." Ricky says.
"I..." Summer starts.
"It's okay. I don't want to talk about the future either." Ricky tells her.
"Mr Bowen, to the counselling office." Mr Mazzara says over the PA speaker again.
"Uhm... so..." Summer starts.
"Ricky, honey. I think Mr Mazzara needs you." Miss Jenn says coming over.
"Thanks." Ricky says.
"Okay, sorry." Miss jenn says.
"It's fine." Summer says looking at her.
When she goes to look back at Ricky, he was gone.
"What are you all doing standing around? You have a show to rehearse." Alyson says.
The group all cheer as Summer's phone goes off.
"Uh, is it okay if I take this?" Summer asks Miss Jenn.
"Of course." Miss Jenn tells her.
"Hi. Yeah, this is Summer Jones." Summer says, answering the phone after she walked away from the group.
Little did Summer know she was about to get the opportunity of a lifetime.