035: Home

After Summer showed Miss Jenn the song, Miss Jenn had asked her and Carlos to record her singing it on stage with a microphone to go on the East High Drama Club's Instagram page

After Summer showed Miss Jenn the song, Miss Jenn had asked her and Carlos to record her singing it on stage with a microphone to go on the East High Drama Club's Instagram page. Both happily agreed and would be filming during the lunch break. It was the second day of the weekend Intensive, Summer still had not talked to Ricky or Gina about what happened during Gina and Ashlyn's improve, but planned on mentioning it today.

"Five questions to really know someones character." Miss Jenn announces to the group. "Today, I want you all to go fully method. Stay in character for this entire exercise. I want each of you to come to the front of the room, I'll prompt you with a question and you'll answer in character. Gaston, let's start with you."
"Okay." EJ mutters as he walks up to stand in front of the mats, in-front of everyone.
"If you had to pick one book to live inside, what would it be and why?" Miss Jenn asks.
"Oh, uh... Like a book of etiquette." EJ says. "You know, 'cause Gaston could really use some manners, always spitting and shooting stuff, like 'Chill Gaston'."
"Love that." Miss Jenn says as everyone laughs.
"What would you ask your future self?" Miss Jenn asks.
"Oh, trick question. Gaston's dead." Ricky says.
Everyone looks at him weirdly before turning back to EJ.
"I'd ask him if he could learn to love anyone after Belle." EJ says. "I mean, anything's possible, right?"
"Intriguing." Miss Jenn says before everyone claps.
"Whoo." Haliee cheers as EJ sits down.
"Mr Beast. Wanna give it a go?" Miss Jenn asks Ricky.
"Sure." Ricky says before standing up and going and sitting on the mats.
"If you had to pick one book to live inside which book would it be and why?" Miss Jenn asks.
"Well, actually, as the beast, it's canon that I can't read." Ricky answers. "So..."
"Beast, I'd like you to take this seriously." Miss Jenn tells him. "Next question. What would you ask you're future self?"
"Uh, I guess... If I ever miss the old days, when I was alone in the castle." Ricky answers, Summer looks at her boyfriend worriedly as everyone else looks confused.
"And why would you miss that?" Miss Jenn asks.
"Everything was the same everyday. Nothing changed." Ricky answers. "Um, I mean, the forks didn't talk, teapots didn't sing."
"Okay, let's go deeper with this feeling." Miss Jenn says.
"think that's all I got." Ricky tells her.
"But when you said nothing changed..." Miss Jenn starts.
"I'm really trying here. Can you get off my back?" Ricky asks.
"Can you watch your tone?" Miss Jenn replies.
"Yeah." Ricky says before whispering. "Okay, mom."
"Let's take a ten, everyone. But stay in character, please." Miss Jenn tells everyone.
Ricky walks out and Summer follows quickly behind.

"Ricky, wait." Summer says following her boyfriend. She catches up to him and grabs his wrist turning him to look at her. "Ricky, what's going on?"
"I don't really want to talk right now, Sum." Ricky sighs, as Summer moves her hand from his wrist to his hand. "I don't really know why you came after me, I'm fine, I promise."
"I came after you because you are my boyfriend and I am worried about you." Summer tells him.
"Well, you don't need to be." He says.
"Yes I do." Summer responds. "You're doing what you always do and bottle up your feelings until you snap. You've done it for as long as I have known you. You can't keep on doing this to yourself, Rick. It's not..."
"Summer, I really don't need the lecture right now." Ricky tells her taking his hand out of hers.
"I'm not trying to give you a lecture, Ricky." Summer replies.
"Then, just leave me alone." Ricky says.
"Okay, I'll leave you alone. But, what you said to Miss Jenn was uncalled for and so out of character for you." Summer says.
"That sounded a lot like a lecture to me, Summer." Ricky says.
"I'm only trying to help you, Ricky." Summer tells him.
"Well,I don't need you help, Summer!" Ricky shouts. "You have the perfect life! You have a sister who is your best friend, you already know where you are going to college, you've made all these new friends so easily, and I..."
"You did not just say I have the perfect life." Summer cuts him off. "Did you forget about what my parents did to me?"
"Sum, I didn't..." Ricky starts.
"You know, I think we need some time to cool off. I'll see you after the break." Summer says before walking away.
As soon as Ricky had said it, he regretted it. And now watching her walk away from him, he regretted it even more.

After her conversation with Ricky, Summer met Carlos at the stage and they recorded the song for the instagram page. After the fight, it brought back after with her parents, Landon and other stuff that happened in her life. This caused her emotions while singing to be very real and intense. It even scared Carlos a bit.

The group had come back together, apart from Ricky. Ashlyn had told Summer about Gina possibly leaving. She knew she had to talk to Gina and Ricky about what was going on between them. But after the fight her and Ricky just had, it wasn't the right time to do so. Even so, she didn't want Gina to leave, so when it was her go for the questions she walked over to Miss Jenn.
"Could I ask for permission to explore my character by singing a song from our show instead?" Summer asks.
"Of course." Miss Jenn replies.
Miss Jenn goes and sits down. Summer takes a breath before start to sing. Someone starts to play the guitar after a moment.

Is this home?
Is this where I should learn to be happy?
Never dreamed
That a home could be dark and cold
I was told
Everyday of my childhood
Even when we grow old
Home will be where the heart is
Never were words so true
My heart's far
Far away, home is, too

Summer hadn't noticed Ricky, who had been stood in the doorway since she began singing. She walked around the room taking in the set and grabbing a scarf wrapping it around her, as everyone watched in amazement.

What I'd give
To return
To the life that I knew lately
But I know that I can't
Solve my problems going back

Is this home?
Am I here for a day or forever?
Shut away
From the world until who knows when
Oh, but then
As my life has been altered once
It can change again
Nothing lasts
Nothing holds all of me
My hearts far, far away
Home and free

Summer spotted Ricky near the end, but when she looked away for a moment then looked back... He was gone.

__________

Summer had gone straight home after the intensive was done. She was laying on her bed, headphones in her ears, blasting music. She had her eyes closed when she felt someone take her headphones out her ears. She opens her eyes to see Ricky stood there.
"Ricky? How did you get in here?" Summer asks.
"Well, your window was open so I climbed though, you were blasting music so I snuck over to the bed and now we're here." Ricky answers as Summer slowly sits up.
"There is a front door." Summer says.
"Yeah, but I might of called Nini for advice after our fight and uhm... she's not to happy with me. I'm guessing she told Ellie and her moms, so none of them would have let me in."
"What are you doing here, Ricky?" Summer asks with a sigh.
"I needed to talk to you and apologies." Ricky tells her.
"And this couldn't of waited until tomorrow?" Summer asks.
"No, no it couldn't." Ricky says sitting down in-front of her. "I'm so sorry I keep on pushing you away."
"Why do you keep o doing it? How many times are you going to do it?" Summer asks.
"Probably until it sticks. As for why, I just... I've never been the kind of person to open up to people, but with you... it's different."
"Ricky, I love you, so much, but I can't keep on going on like this. If you're going to walk away every time something get's hard..."
"No. I'm not doing that anymore." Ricky tells her. "We're going to fight, that's normal. And I know we one day, we may go our own ways for a bit... but... I know we'll find each other again. Because this." Ricky grabs both Summer's hands. "Us? We've got something that is something that I'm never going to let go of. I hate the idea of you being sad because of me. What I said was way out of line, and I understand if you hate me because of it. But, I will do anything to make it up to you. Because I can't lose you. You are my home."
"You're my home to." Summer replies before kissing him.
"Summer!" Ellie shouts.
"I got to go. I'll see you tomorrow at school." Summer tells him.
"See you tomorrow." Ricky replies.
Summer heads towards the door while Ricky goes back over to the window.
"I'm..." Summer starts to shout to Ellie.
"I'd ask if he and Belle were still together." Ricky cuts in as he turns to face her again.
"What?" Summer asks, looking at him too, as she closes the door again.
"The Beast." Ricky says. "That's what I'd ask my future self."
"I love you." Summer tells him.
"I love you to." Ricky replies.
"Goodnight, Rick." Summer says.
"Goodnight, Sum." Ricky responds.
Ricky then climbs out of her bedroom window as Summer goes to find Ellie.