Chapter 16

It's afternoon and Hanna rings the doorbell at Spencer's. She takes a look toward Caleb's house as she waits for her friend to answer the door. The house seems quiet and she doesn't see people working on the outside as in the last days. She assumes that they must be working in the inside, maybe in the first floor of the house as Caleb told her. She feels sorry about how bad she treated him the night before and thinks that she should definitely stop by at his place when she leaves her friend's house and apologize to him.

Spencer "Hey, Han" she greets Hanna, interrupting her thoughts and catching her by surprise.

Hanna "Oh, hey Spence!" she says while turning to her.

Spencer "Come in, Aria is already here"

Hanna steps into the house and they go to the kitchen.

Aria "Hi, Han!"

Hanna "Hey!" she greets her back and sits on a stool next to her at the kitchen island.

Spencer "Want some coffee?" she asks Hanna.

Hanna "Yes, please"

Spencer "Toby and I have been talking about his birthday, he doesn't want to throw a party or anything. We are just going to my parents' lake house on Friday. I thought you guys could join us on Saturday for his birthday and stay the night there of course, what do you think?"

Aria "Sounds good, I'll talk to Ezra, but I guess we are going"

Hanna "Yeah, I'm going too... It's about time we enjoy the summer, I could use some sunbathing..." she casually says, but then she raises her eyebrows and smiles amused while staring at Spencer. "Why don't you want us to go on Friday as well, though? Are you planning some kind of naughty birthday surprise for Toby?"

Spencer smiles mischievously. "Maybe... but I'm not telling you" she says and hands her a cup of coffee.

Hanna laughs.

Spencer "Well... but there's only one little detail left... the rooms" she says and looks at Hanna "Toby and I are obviously staying in the main room, Ezra and Aria, and Alison and Emily are occupying the two other rooms with double beds, and there is only one room left... the one with two single beds... would you be okay with sharing that room with Caleb? Toby wants him to come as well"

Hanna "Sure, no problem"

Spencer "Great"

Aria "Well, you already shared a bed with him, a room is nothing to you" she teases Hanna.

Hanna "Did I just hear Alison talk?" she asks to Spencer, narrowing her eyes, pretending to be confused.

Aria laughs and nudges her with her elbow.

Hanna "Anyway, your who-sleeps-in-each-room little issue isn't solved yet"

Spencer "Why?" she asks confused.

Hanna "I was with Emily yesterday and things between her and Alison aren't going so well"

Aria "Oh, that explains why none of them are here now"

Hanna "Anyway, maybe they make up before the weekend, but you should keep it in mind"

Spencer "I hope so... it would be awkward for them even if they don't share a room"

Hanna "Uh huh... I can sleep with Alison and Emily can share the room with two beds with Caleb, I'm sure she won't mind" she offers although what she really wants is to be the one who shares the bedroom with him.

Spencer nods.

Aria "How was Camp Mona, Han?"

Hanna of course leaves out everything about she and Caleb while telling them about the party and then they change the subject and keep chatting for a while before Aria takes off, leaving only Spencer and Hanna in the house. At some point, Spencer's phone starts to ring.