Chapter 33

When Caleb's alarm goes off only an hour after, he reaches out to turn it off quickly so Hanna doesn't wake up too, but when he looks at her, she is staring at him.

Caleb "Go back to sleep. I'll get in the shower"

Hanna nods and closes her eyes right away. She's exhausted.

Caleb kisses her cheek and gets up.

Half an hour later, when Caleb is dressed and ready to leave, he comes back to the bedroom accompanied by someone.

Caleb "Hey! Easy, buddy" he tells Chocolate in an attempt to calm him down.

The dog has seen Hanna and wants to jump on the bed already. Caleb is holding him back by his collar and only releases him once he seems calmer, but of course, as soon as he is free, Chocolate jumps on the bed next to Hanna and starts licking her face.

Hanna "Hey!" she smiles with her eyes still closed and wraps her arms around the huge dog's neck. "I missed you" she opens her eyes and looks at Caleb who is standing at the end of the bed. "Where was he?"

Caleb "In the backyard..."

Hanna "You made him sleep outside?" she asks while petting Chocolate's ears.

Caleb "No, he asked to go out himself... I think he gets too hot in here at night... I bought him a dog house and he loves it"

Hanna "Really? That's good"

Chocolate has finally settled down and now he is lying next to Hanna with his head resting on her chest.

Caleb "Yeah... anyway, he needs to stay in the house now because the guys that are working on my backyard are coming any moment now and they are bringing a digger to start excavating the hole for the pool"

Hanna nods. "Are you leaving?"

Caleb "Yeah... I have to meet up with the landscape gardener at some place to pick some plants... I really don't feel like going because I couldn't care less about which plants I'll have in my backyard, I told her to choose them herself, but she insisted, so..."

Hanna "She?"

Caleb "Yeah, she... why?"

Hanna shrugs. "I don't know, I just had assumed that your landscape gardener was a guy"

Caleb smiles at her and gets closer. "No, she is actually a really kind, fun, loving... fifty-something-years-old woman" he says while sitting down on the edge of the bed very close to her and gives her an amused smile.

Hanna chuckles. "I wasn't getting jealous, silly. I really thought she was a guy, I don't know why" she yawns.

Caleb "You could have pretended that you were a bit jealous at least" he jokes.

Hanna "Well, I have to admit that I like the fact that she is in her fifties" she smiles at him and reaches out to caress his cheek. "Do you want me to go with you?"

Caleb "No, it's fine... go back to sleep, I'll be back soon" he leans over her and pecks her lips before standing up from the bed. "Call me if you need anything" He tells her when he is about to leave the room.

Hanna "I don't have my phone"

Caleb turns around to look at her. "Really? Again?"

Hanna "Yeah... Mona has my phone, long story... anyway, just go, I'll be fine... I'll just go back to sleep"

Caleb "Okay... just remember that there will be people working outside, you'll probably hear noises... oh, and they have a key to the backyard gate, so they'll just let themselves in"