Chapter 56

It's Saturday evening and Caleb is asleep on the couch when someone rings the doorbell, waking him up. He stretches his arms and yawns before standing up. His eyes feel irritated from crying. Chocolate follows him as he heads to the door.

Caleb "Hey, Spence." He greets Spencer, finding her with Finn in her arms, dressed up, and carrying Finn's diaper bag. "Hey, little one." He forces a faint smile for the baby.

Spencer "Hey! Is Hanna home?"

Caleb "No, she's not." He only says, avoiding further explanations.

Spencer "Oh..." She sounds disappointed, and notices Caleb's expression. "Are you okay?"

Caleb "Yeah, I'm fine. I was just asleep."

Spencer "Oh, I'm sorry I woke you up."

Caleb "It's fine. Don't worry... Do you need anything?"

Spencer "No, it's nothing." She smiles. "Is Hanna coming back soon?"

Caleb "No... she actually... she moved to Lucas' apartment this morning."

Spencer "Oh, I'm sorry... I didn't know."

Caleb "It's okay... So, do you need someone to watch Finnie?"

Spencer "Yes, Toby was supposed to come home a while ago, but I just called him, and his truck won't start... and I have this dinner at my mother's, and I'm already running late."

Caleb "I'll watch him." He offers.

Spencer "You sure?"

Caleb "Yeah... I obviously have no plans for the night. I'd be happy to."

Spencer smiles. "Thank you, Caleb." She passes the baby to him. "It'll only be for a little while until Toby comes home." She adds while handing him Finn's bag as well.

Caleb "Sure, don't worry. I'll keep him alive until then." He holds the baby gently against himself as he hangs the bag on his shoulder.

Spencer "Thank you, Caleb! You are the best!... Just call me anything." She adds while walking away.

Caleb closes the door and goes back inside. "We have company, Chocolate." He tells the dog, who's eyeing the baby curiously.

He gently settles the baby down on the couch, taking a seat beside him and placing the diaper bag on his lap. "Let's see if you have any toys in here." He tells Finn while rummaging through the bag. He finds a colorful baby toy and offers it to him. "Here, Finnie."

Finn takes the toy but swiftly tosses it aside. Then he reaches out with his tiny arms to touch Chocolate, who has rested his head on the couch, right next to the baby.

Caleb chuckles. "Looks like you've found something more interesting."

The baby grabs Chocolate's ears, giggling in delight.

Caleb "Easy there, Finnie... let's be gentle with Chocolate." He gently cautions as he carefully removes the baby's grip from the dog's ears.

/

Spencer arrives at her mother's house but before getting out of her car, she decides to send a voice message to Aria, Emily, and Alison.

Spencer "Hey guys... I just left Finnie with Caleb, and, well, he told me that Hanna moved to Lucas' today. Would any of you mind checking on her? Maybe give her a call or something? I'd do it myself, but I have this dinner at my mom's with a couple of other senators she invited, and I'm already late."

/

Hanna lies on Lucas' couch, not paying much attention to the TV when the doorbell rings. She ignores it the first time, thinking someone must have pressed the wrong button on the intercom since no one besides Caleb knows she is there, and he wouldn't just come over. But it rings again, and she decides to answer it.