Chapter 36

Emily "So, where should I take you? Your place or Caleb's?" she asks once they are in her car.

Hanna "Caleb's, please" she says while looking out the window as Emily pulls out.

Emily "How is Chocolate doing, Han? I mean, he went through a lot too"

Hanna "He is doing great. He didn't even realize he had been kidnapped. I'm pretty sure he slept most of the time"

Emily smiles. "Did they take good care of him at least?"

Hanna "Yeah... I would have killed someone otherwise"

Emily chuckles. "I know you would... Have your mom come back from London yet?"

Hanna "Uh huh"

Emily "I'm sure she had a great time there..."

Hanna "Yeah" she only answers and Emily gets right away that Hanna is not in the mood to hold a conversation at the moment.

The rest of the drive is very quiet and only a few minutes later, they get to Caleb's place.

Emily "I'm not sure Caleb is home, Han" she says after stopping the car.

Hanna takes a look at the house and sees that Caleb's car is not in the driveway.

Emily "Wanna give him a call? Maybe he is close by, or on his way back... I don't mind waiting"

Hanna "No, it's fine... can you take me home?"

Emily "Sure"

Hanna "I'm sorry, I should have called him before making you come all the way here"

Emily laughs. "Don't be silly, I don't mind. Besides, you live only a few blocks away from here, it's the same"

Hanna gives her a slight smile.

/

Evening.

Ashley gets home from work and finds Hanna lying on the couch with Chocolate. She is already in her pajamas, watching TV.

Ashley "Hi, sweetie"

Hanna "Hi, mom" she says without taking her eyes off of the screen.

Ashley "How was your day?"

Hanna "It was okay..." she says, still focused on the tv. "Yours?"

Ashley "I've had a hectic day... Too much to catch up with after being so many days away. I was planning to get back home earlier, but I couldn't... And on top of that, Denise from the front desk didn't..." she realizes that Hanna isn't really listening to her and also notices her expressionless face. "You okay, Hanna?"

Hanna "Yeah, I'm just tired" she sits up.

Ashley "I was gonna take you out to dinner, but you are already in your pajamas... What would you like to eat? I'm ordering some food"

Hanna "I'm not really hungry, mom... I'll just go to bed" she stands up. "Let's go, Chocolate"

Ashley "Are you sure you don't want anything?"

Hanna "Yeah, I'm sure. Night, mom" she says while going upstairs with her dog.

Ashley "Good night, baby. I'll order something for you just in case you change your mind"

Since Hanna isn't having dinner with her, Ashley grabs her phone and invites Ted over.

/

Later. Around 10 pm.

Caleb leaves Toby's place. He is walking back to his house when he decides that it's such a beautiful summer night to go back home so early and so he texts Hanna. It's a working day, but none of them has a job yet, so it's the same.