Chapter 66

It's the afternoon, and Hanna leaves her store early. After the exciting news she and Caleb found out that morning, she hasn't been able to focus much on her work anyway. She finds herself smiling while thinking and imagining all kinds of things related to her pregnancy and the baby throughout most of the day. Also, she's been googling several things to clear many of the doubts that keep coming into her mind, wishing she could reach out to her mother friends, especially Spencer. Hanna has always believed that there's nothing Spencer doesn't know.

Leaving her car parked half a block away from her store, she decides to walk the few blocks that separate her store from Caleb and Toby's office. Having a copy of the keys, she lets herself into the office building.

Approaching the door to Caleb's office, before having the chance to knock, Hanna hears an unfamiliar voice inside, so she assumes he must be in the middle of a meeting. She decides to head for Toby's office instead and say hi to him, but even though the door is wide open, she doesn't find him there.

She then opts to just wait for Caleb at Emily's old desk at the reception. She settles into the chair and smiles at the sight of a frame with a picture of Lily and Grace when they were newborn babies. Suddenly, she finds herself wondering what if she were pregnant with more than just one baby, and just the thought of it is a bit scary, fading her smile away. She retrieves her phone from her purse and immediately looks that up on the internet. Reading that it's estimated that 1 in 250 pregnancies result in twins naturally and that she's not affected by any of the factors that increase her odds, she relaxes a bit.

A few minutes later, Hanna is engrossed in her phone when suddenly, the intercom beeps beside her. With no one else around, she decides to answer.

Hanna "Hello, RiversCav Security Technologies. how can I help you?"

A female voice responds from the other end. "Hello, I'm Bree. I'm here for a job interview."

Hanna "Oh, sure. Come in, please." She buzzes the woman in through the intercom.

Shortly after, Bree arrives at the entrance.

Bree "Excuse me, miss. I have a job interview at RiversCav's. Am I at the right place?" She asks Hanna.

Hanna looks up from her phone. Bree is a tall, pretty brunette who appears to be in her late thirties. "Yeah." she replies casually, pointing to the large sign behind her on the wall.

Bree "Oh, right." She chuckles nervously. "Sorry, I didn't see it. I'm a bit nervous."

Hanna "It's fine. Just have a seat over there."

Bree takes a seat in the small sitting area in front of the reception.

Bree "So, how is it working here?" She asks Hanna, attempting to strike up a conversation.

Hanna's eyes are still focused on her phone, but a sly smile crosses her face as a mischievous idea pops into her head. She forces a serious expression to conceal her true intentions, looking up at Bree before responding.

Hanna "Oh, it's... fine, I guess. Caleb's the boss, so you'll have to deal with him mostly." She pauses, her smile faltering slightly. "He can be a bit... intense at times, you know? But I'm sure you'll manage."

Bree "Intense how? What do you mean?"

Hanna "Oh, you know, he can be quite demanding. He expects nothing but perfection and can be a bit, um, intimidating at times. Some people find it hard to keep up with his pace and high standards. Just something to keep in mind." She flashes a sympathetic smile, hoping to plant seeds of doubt in Bree's mind about working with Caleb. "You don't mind working on Sundays too, do you?"