Chapter 45

The following day, Caleb shows up at Ashley's and Hanna's early in the morning.

Ashley "Come on in." She instructs Caleb after opening the front door for him. "Hanna is upstairs in the shower, so go straight to the basement and don't come out until I let you know that we've left. I'll leave you my keys here." She points to the key bowl.

Caleb "Thanks, Ashley!" He says while he makes his way to the kitchen. He carries some brushes, a paint roller, and a can of paint left over from when he renovated his house.

Once in the basement, Caleb starts moving the old furniture to the center of the room, being especially careful with Hanna's sewing machine, in order to make some space to start working on the walls. He plans to give them just a simple coat of paint since they seem to be in good shape.

He is almost done painting the second wall when Ashley texts him to let him know they've already left, so Caleb texts Toby as well to let him know he can come to Hanna's now.

Only half an hour later, Toby shows up there to help him. He brings his toolbox, a ladder, and some new modern lamps Spencer helped him pick out the day before.

Toby "So you and Hanna made up then?" He asks as he climbs the ladder to start working on the electrical wiring.

Caleb "Yeah, she came over last night after we left Emily's and Alison's." He answers as he dips the roller back into the paint. "I honestly thought she would be, I don't know, angrier, or resentful... but we just had a nice talk, and that was all."

Toby "She was just worried about you, but she is definitely angry at me. I tried to talk to her last night, but it was impossible."

Caleb "She'll come around. Give her some time."

Toby "Hope so." He climbs off the ladder. "Anyway, I ended up having a serious talk with Spencer myself. She realized there was something off between Hanna and me, so I had to tell her about what we did. She got pissed off at me at first too, but then I told her the investigation was finally over, and she calmed down."

Caleb "Is it really over, then?"

Toby "Yeah, I told you yesterday. They were all arrested."

Caleb "Yes, but you didn't give me the details... what was the information we hacked for?" he asks, intrigued.

Toby "It helped us to make sure we were on all fronts at the same time. We had the information that there would be a shipment of drugs, but we didn't know the exact location and time. You got us that info from this guy's computer. We set up an ambush and confiscated the shipment at the same time as another team raided a secret store inside one of their construction sites, and another team arrested the gang leader at his place. We made sure no one had the chance to sneak away." He grabs his pliers from his toolbox and climbs back onto the ladder.

Caleb "That's great. I never thought the Rosewood PD could manage to pull off something like that."

Toby "The night Hanna went missing, they were after the first shipment of drugs this gang was ever bringing to Rosewood. They ended up ambushing a truck full of diapers. That's why they had to regroup and ask for reinforcements from the Philly police."

Caleb "They should have still looked for Hanna."

Toby "Yes, they should have." He sighs. "Anyway, I've already submitted my resignation letter, so I guess I'll have to start looking for a job."

Caleb "I think I might be able to help you with that..." He puts his roller down.

Toby looks at him from the top of the ladder.