Chapter 63

Almost two weeks later.

Rosewood.

It's December 24th, in the evening.

Caleb turns off the engine of his car after parking. "Well... here we go."

Hanna sighs. "We could still drive the hell away from here, get some drive-thru, and go home to watch a movie..."

Caleb smiles. "No way, I've already dressed up. We are doing this."

Hanna "Aren't you even a bit nervous?"

Caleb "Yeah, a bit. But I'm trying to stay calm because you're anxious enough for the both of us." He takes her hand.

Hanna "Well, you shouldn't be. I mean, my dad doesn't have to like you. I'm not even sure if he likes me, and I'm his daughter."

Caleb chuckles. "Then why are you so nervous?" He caresses her hand, also playing with her engagement ring.

Hanna "I don't know."

Caleb "Come on, we are in this together..."

Hanna "Okay, let's go." She finally opens her door.

After retrieving a cake and a few gifts from the backseat, they finally make their way to the house Tom Marin shares with Isabel.

Hanna rings the doorbell. It takes some time before someone finally answers.

Isabel "Oh, hi, Hanna... and..." She hesitates, glancing at Caleb.

Caleb "Caleb, nice to meet you." He offers a friendly smile.

Hanna "Hi, Isabel."

Isabel turns her gaze back to Hanna, and stares at her, confused.

Isabel "Oh, come on in... I'm sorry, I just... I wasn't expecting you." She explains after a pause, stepping aside to let them in.

Hanna "My dad invited us over." She explains, handing Isabel the cake after they enter.

Isabel "He must have forgotten to tell me. Well, it's alright, I suppose. I'll just set a couple of extra places at the table. There's plenty of food anyway."

Caleb "Where should I put these?" He asks, indicating the bag of gifts.

Isabel "Oh, give me that. I'll place them under the tree."

Caleb "Thanks." He says.

Isabel "Go ahead, everyone's in the dining room. We're having an early dinner. Landon goes to bed early." She offers the explanation, her tone slightly curt.

Caleb "Who's Landon?" He whispers to Hanna as they head for the dining room.

Hanna "Kate's son." She whispers back.

Caleb "Oh."

They enter the dining room, and Hanna immediately confirms by the expression on her dad's face that he indeed completely forgot about their visit for Christmas.

Hanna "Hi, everyone!"

Hanna's grandmother stands up from her seat at the sight of her. The others greet Hanna and Caleb from their seats.

Regina "Oh, Hanna! My dear! I didn't know you were coming!" She approaches her. "How gorgeous you are, my girl." She pulls Hanna into a hug.

Hanna "Hi, grandma!" She hugs her back. "You look great yourself too! I've missed you!"

Regina "I've missed you too, my sweet." She pulls away from the hug and holds Hanna's face. "Look at that beautiful face of yours." She smiles at her.

Hanna smiles back.