downfall

Age:idk like 5

Y'all blame what I watch

Robbie

I knocked at the front door and waited for it to be answered.

It was her birthday afew days ago...

Lizzie was already struggling but I decided to give her a visit this year to see how she's doing.

I heard some noises inside and slowly the door opened.

My eyes widened when I saw her.

Her eyes were bloodshot red. Her cheeks stained with tears.

"Well isn't it Evelyn's father. " she said as she leaned onto the doorframe.

Even from a mile away you would be able to smell the alcohol off her.

"What brought you here? " she asked in a slurred voice.

"Just wanted to see how your doing... " I said.

She chuckled then sniffled. She lifted herself off the doorframa making her wobble but she opened her arms and spoke.

"As you can see I'm wonderful. " she said with a smile.

I frowned.

"This isn't you Liz. " I said making her scoff.

She turned around and walked away making me follow her after coming in and closing the door.

She walked to the living room and when I entered I was greeted by empty bottles of alcohol.

"Lizzie." I said in a mumble as she flopped onto the sofa.

I walked towards her and my eyes landed on a cake.

A strawberry cake that has burnt out candles ontop of it.

"Have you eaten anything? " I asked since even though the candles were blown out the cake seemed untouched.

Lizzie didn't answer me instead she rubbed her temples.

"Should I go get you something? " I asked she didn't answer.

"I can c-"

"Stop it. " she said cutting me off.

She sat up and looked me in the eyes.

"We're divorced. " she said.

"We don't share a kid. You have no reason to see me Robbie. " I shook my head.

"But I still care for you. " I said with a hushed voice.

She looked down and put her hand over her eyes as if she was trying to hide her tears.

"Don't, don't... " she said with a shakey voice.

"It's been 5 years Liz. "

She took a deep breath and looked at the cake. "Do you think she still likes strawberries? " she asked.

"I've been getting strawberry cake all these years but maybe she changed her preferences. Maybe she likes something else now. " she said and slowly reached out for the cake.

She put it on her lap and touched the frosting.

She slowly brought it up to her lips and licked it then looked at me. "See I ate. Happy now? "

I looked at the bottles scattered over the coffee table.

"I haven't been drinking that much don't worry. " she said.

"How am I supposed to believe that? "

"It would be better for you if you did. " she said and stood up after putting the cake back in it's place.

When she stood up she almost fell on the coffee table which made me stand up.

She turned to me and got close. She touched my chest then touched hers. "You and I have no reason to see each other. No reason no worry about each other. So please leave. "

She picked up a half full bottle and started to walk away leaving me alone.

I sat back down and looked up. My eyes caught the picture frame that sat on the fireplace.

Still in it's place like nothing had changed.

Yet the once happy family in that picture is no more.

I know its short af but idk 😂😂