Places

Age:11

Evelyn

I sat behind my door as tears rolled down my cheeks.

I hated it all, I hate all the yells, the cries, and all the pain that comes with it.

I put my headphones on as their screams intensified. I sobbed as I pressed the volume button.

They've been fighting all day about every little thing and now like every other night their having a screaming match.

And it's not hard to guess the view I'll be greeted with tomorrow morning either.

Stuff thrown on the floor, empty glasses of wine and vodka. Broken glasses and frames.

I was sick of it all.

I opened my eyes as I tried to steady my breath but failed.

Then through my blurred vision I saw light through my window.

I blinked and focus at the house across from mine. The Arnett's...

They have a daughter close to my age. Her names Adeline, Adeline was pretty a copy of her dad. She looked nothing like her mother who has blond hair and green eyes that shined like the sun.

I was always jealous of her life.

Her happy parents who loved each other to bits. When I was younger I would spy on them as my parents screamed downstairs.

I would sit in front of my window and watch their happy family with jealousy.

I prayed and wished every single night that my parents would stop fighting, that they would be like her parents.

That they would come in my room woth smiles in their faces and sit in my bed with me as they read me a story like Addies parents.

I just wished...

I wished.

Yet my prayers didn't come true nor did my wishes.

They still fault and hated each other.

Mom would only come to my room drunk and tired with her tear stained cheeks.

It was always a gamble with dad. He would sometimes come in to just sat next to me in silence and sometimes he would just talk to me when he thought I was asleep.

When he was drunk he would come and muddle. "You aren't mine. "

I never understood why he said that. Not when I was younger or now.

Through my window I was Adeline sit on her bed with her mom.

They talked to each other with smiles on their faces.

I slowly stood up and walked towards my window and opened it letting the cold air blow in.

I watched the happy view in front of me and felt all the jealousy boil up again.

Then suddenly the light in my room was turned on making me turn around.

I pulled my headphones down and my mom spoke. "It's cold Evelyn, you'll get sick. " she said with a sore voice.

I nodded.

"Yes mom. "

Adeline came and sat in front of me with a smile. "Hey so I thought about it and why don't you come over to my house after school. " she said.

"Why? " I asked.

She shrugged "I mean it has been awhile since we last hung out Ev, I miss our little get togethers and since it's the weekend tomorrow maybe you'll get to stay over as well. "