Just a rough patch

Just when she's about to head to bed, Mitch comes home.
"Hey you're back! I thought you would be back a lot earlier." Stevie hugs her boyfriend and gives him a loving kiss.
"Yeah it took a bit longer than expected."

His hands cup Stevie's bum and he starts to squeeze them.
"God you have a nice ass." He groans as he pushes his groin against her.
She can tell he's already turned on, but she is not. Her head is too full with the upcoming surgery and treatment. She has had two days filled with a lot of stress and anxiety. Sex is the last thing on her mind.

"Thanks, let's get some sleep, I want to make sure I'm well rested before Monday." She says pulling away from Mitch.
"Our bed sounds good. Let's go." He says, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

Right at that moment Zara starts to cry. It's time for her feed and when Stevie hears her daughter she can feel her breasts start to tingle, an indication of her milk starting to flow.
Unfortunately she can't listen to her body right now. She will have to make a bottle for her daughter to drink from instead of just letting her latch on and feed from her mom.

"Can you get her so I can fix her bottle?" She asks Mitch.
"You want me to pick her up?" He looks very uncomfortable.
"Well yeah. It's your daughter too you know. Just pick her up and console her until I'm ready with the bottle."

Reluctantly he heads upstairs to their daughters room.
Through the baby monitor she hears him talking to Zara.
"Don't cry, your mom is coming soon with food and then you can go back to sleep."
He talks to her in his own voice, sounding uninterested, cold even.

She knows he's not really the father she hoped he would be once they had kids. But sometimes it feels like she is a single mother mostly. He does the bare minimum for their kids and that hurts. Surely he loves Cole and Zara? How can you not love your own children? Maybe when they are a bit older he will find it easier. I guess not everybody has a thing for babies and that's understandable, you can't really talk with them or anything. But she loves this age, she loves every age of her kids.

The bottle doesn't take long to heat up and she makes her way upstairs.
When she goes into Zara's nursery, she sees Mitch just standing next to the cot. Zara is still in there, he hasn't even made an effort to pick her up.

"Mitch! She is crying, just pick her up!" Stevie rushes to her little girl whose face is red and angry.
"You know I don't do the whole baby thing. I just don't know what to do with them." He protests.

Stevie picks up her daughter and makes shushing sounds.
"You could at least try. It's not rocket science. You know what, never mind I've got it. Just go take a shower or whatever."
She shakes her head, frustrated with the fact that her boyfriend and the father of their kids just won't even try to look after them.

She sits down in the rocking chair she has in the nursery to feed Zara and as soon as the bottle touches the little girls mouth she starts to drink.
Feeling relieved Zara takes the bottle so well she relaxes, cherishing the weight of the baby in her arms. The soft sounds of Zara drinking the milk makes her feel at ease.

It's also the moment she makes the decision to stay at her parents home while she recovers from surgery. She knows if she stays with Mitch, she won't be able to take the rest she needs to recover. Her parents will make sure she does and they will be able to help her take care of the kids properly.

It's sad to think that she can't rely on the father of the children to help her out. She really loves him, but she wishes he would just be more involved in their children's lives. He lives in the same house and still she is the one who looks after Cole and Zara. Even when she is working he will drop them off at her parents place all the time.