Coffee

"Really Daniel why are you looking like you have to go to a funeral?" Michael asks his friend while they are having some dinner in the caravan.
"I'm not. I just... never mind." Daniel gets a bottle of water from the small fridge, screws the cap off and takes a couple of large sips.

"Dude for real. I've never seen you like this. Not even when your relationship ended. So tell me what's going on? You've got to be focused this weekend."
Michael puts the food on the plates and puts them on the table so they can eat.

"I am focused. I just handled a situation very badly and I feel really horrible about it."
Michael looks at him questioning.
"What situation? Just tell me, maybe I can help."
Daniel scoffs, he doesn't really see how Michael, the eternal bachelor, could help him with this.

"Dan come on, talk to me."
Daniel rubs his face and sighs.
"Fine. So I told you about Stephanie right?"

Rolling his eyes Michael takes a bite of his food.
"Yeah like every day since you met her. I know she's hot as fuck and I know you fancy the pants off her. So what did you do? Insult her?"
Michael thought she was very nice, but he only met her in Zandvoort when they had breakfast with her and her dad. She just seemed very reserved and didn't really socialize with them.

"When I went to get my phone, she was there."
"She was in hospitality? That makes sense, she's going to work there."
Michael has no idea why his friend is looking so down. Usually Daniel is always his happy self, but something happened that definitely affect him.

"Yeah but she wasn't alone."
Michael has a sense to where this is going.
"She has a boyfriend?" He asks, assuming that Daniel may have caught her making out with a guy.
"I don't know. She does have two kids though. At least, the little boy called her mommy."

Well that was something Micheal did not expect to hear.
"She has kids? Woooow. That's pretty big."
They both stay silent for a while to process.
Michael is trying to guess what Daniel meant by handling the situation badly.

Obviously Daniel was hoping to get to know her better and maybe ask her out on a date. He's definitely smitten by this woman, but now he knows she has kids things might change.

Daniel's head is all over the place, but not because he feels different about Stephanie now he knows she is a mom. He still fancies her a lot, but if she has kids, she might already be taken.

"But what did you mean you handled it badly?"
"Well I saw her with them and I just took my phone and left. Mostly because you were yelling at me to come out. But I also didn't really know what to say." Daniel just moves his food over the plate without really eating anything.

"How much does this change things for you?" Michael asks him.
"Are her kids a deal breaker for you or do you still feel the same about getting to know her?"
Daniel doesn't even have to think long about that.

"No they are not. You know I love kids. It will complicate things maybe. I mean there must be a father somewhere."
Then he shakes his head.
"What am I talking about. I don't even know if she is single. Why am I even thinking about things like this when I barely know her and I have no idea if she would even be interested in me if she was single."

Michael lifts up one corner of his mouth.
"Because you really fancy her. If you want my opinion, just go talk to her. You can keep guessing or speculating, but the only way to find out for sure is ask her."

"I know. But as long as I am not sure I can still hope. If she really turns me down then that hope will be gone."

His trainer and friend feels sympathetic towards his mate. It's the first time he has ever seen Daniel like this. With his ex it definitely wasn't, they just got together because it seemed like they should be. This time he can tell it's Daniel's heart on the line and that must be scary for his friend.