It keeps getting better

"Do you think they are awake yet?" Stevie asks Daniel once they have settled down on the couch together. Daniel has poured himself a glass of wine, while Stevie is on some sparkling water. She would have loved a glass of the red wine, but she knows she can't, at least not for the next 7,5 months and after that if she can breastfeed she won't be drinking alcohol either.

The kids are in bed after a nice dinner with the four of them. They haven't officially told the kids yet, Zara won't understand and Cole will tell everybody he meets. Luckily he doesn't understand the word pregnant and he didn't hear Stevie tell Tina she was having a baby. So he has no idea that he is going to be a big brother again.

"They should be up by now, my dad will go to work soon. So I think this is the best time to call them." Daniel says before pulling his phone out of his pocket. This is a moment he has been waiting for ever since they heard about the baby.
"Try not to smile yet. I'm going to give them some shit first." He says grinning.

"Well we've been doing that to everybody so far. I guess we shouldn't spare your parents either." Stevie agrees. It's kind of fun to tease their loved ones a bit. Besides they get amazing news after they made them sweat a bit.

Once Daniel presses the call button it doesn't take long before they see Joe come up the screen.
"Good morning kids. Oh no wait, it's evening there in sunny Miami isn't it?" He asks. They can see he's on the breakfast table, having a large cup of coffee. In the background they hear some sounds coming from the kitchen. Grace is probably preparing breakfast for the two of them.

"Hey Dad. Is mom there? We need to talk." Daniel says with a flat voice, he doesn't even answer Joe's question.
"Ehm, yeah she is... what's going on? Why the long face?" Joe asks worried.
"I'll tell you, but can you get mom. I don't want to tell it twice." Daniel says.
So far Stevie hasn't said anything even though she saw Joe look at her a few times trying to read her.

She keeps a straight face, it's not easy, because she loves Joe and she doesn't want to see him worried. But he will forgive them once he hears the news, she hopes.

"Grace darling, can you come here for a moment? I've got Daniel and Stevie on the phone and they have something to talk to us about." Joe calls out to his wife.
"Oh yeah of course. I'm always happy to see them." They hear Grace's voice coming closer as she is walking over to Joe.

"Yeah well they don't seem to happy to see us." Joe says.
"What? Why?" Grace sits down next to her husband and looks at the screen of his phone.
She can now also see the sad faces of her son and his fiancé, which is unusual.

"We just have something that you guys need to know..." Daniel starts.
"It's about the wedding." He sighs leaving Grace and Joe look at him questioning.
"What about the wedding?" Grace asks. The nerves very obvious in her voice.
"There's not going to be a wedding at New Years. We can't go through with it."

His parents look at each other distraught.
"What do you mean? Why can't you go through with it? What is going on guys? You're not breaking up aren't you?" Grace fires questions at them, completely at a loss about their reasons behind them not getting married anymore.

"It's just not the right time. We can't do it."
Daniel keeps adding and his parents faces keep dropping further. His mom looking really distressed.
Grace is scared that Daniel and Stevie have broken up and that she has now lost the sweetest daughter in law she could have asked for and those two angels of grandkids.

"But... I don't understand? What is going on?" His mom looks like she is about to cry and Stevie can't do it anymore. Grace doesn't deserve to be so upset.
"The reason we can't get married at New Years is that we are expecting a baby and the due date is the 26th of December. So getting married a couple of days later might not be the best idea." Stevie admits, her face breaking into a smile.