Chapter Thirty

After school I tried my best to avoid any cheerleaders on the way to my car. Though that didn’t do much; they found me. -_-

“Sayuri?” I recognize the questioning voice of Sakura.

I sigh; “yes, Sakura?”

She frowns; “aren’t you coming to practice?”

I stay quiet until I realize I actually have to answer; “uh, I was going to…” Not

“Oh, come on Sayuri, you know we have a big game in two weeks” she says pulling me toward the gym. The others nodded and smiled. Meanwhile, I’m just wondering why they didn’t ask about Lip-sync.

We entered the gym about a minute later with my wrist throbbing from Sakura’s iron grip. After she lets go (finally!) I rub my wrist and follow her and the others outside.

I notice some guys lined up and or sitting in chairs all around the field. “What’s going on?” I ask Sakura.

“oh, they’re having tryouts; some of the other players were either kicked off or had to quit, so they’re holding tryout for new players, but they’re only going to be backups” she says, not looking at me. Frankly, I just wondered how she knew all this. Weird girl

I look around the field and immediately spot the bright orange spot I’ve known to be Naruto; and right by him is Sasuke, and for some reason, they seem to be arguing.

I couldn’t see anything due to how loud it was and how far away they were.

The door closes with a loud bang; they really have to fix that door; and of course, the whole back of the school hears, literally, every single person. Big sigh

Though, surprisingly…or not, they didn’t seem to make anything of it and went back to whatever they were doing, well that is, except for the two people I actually wanted to not pay attention to me. Is that confusing?? I hope not.

So anyway, Sasuke just stared at me while Naruto ran over, grinning. But before he could make it over here, Kakashi-sensei called for tryouts to start, and he had to go line up. He sent me a sad thumbs-up and I replied with a small smile.

For tryouts they had to get past Neji the goalie, and a few other defenders, including Sasuke.

“Well, what’re we waiting for; let’s cheer for them!!” I exclaim, hands on my hips.

They seemed startled at my sudden outburst, but complied by grabbing their pom-poms while cheering. Even though they were only cheering for Sasuke who wasn’t even trying out, they were still doing something, so I really didn’t care; and that also meant that they weren’t bugging me so, I really didn’t care, but then again, I knew it wouldn’t last forever. And boy was I right…

“Uh, Sayuri?” I turn to them looking curious.

“Don’t be mad or anything…but” Sakura started, looking at the others. “Uh, could you please, please, please do lip-sync with us??”

I sighed and looked away; after all, I had been looking forward to this, I just didn’t think they’d be this straight-forward about it.

Surprisingly, Sasuke seemed to have noticed the conversation and nodded curtly, causing him to lose the defense on the ball. I smiled and tried not to giggle.

Finally I looked at them; “fine, I’ll do it”

For a minute it looked like they were going to retort, but then they realized what I said and grinned, still looking a bit confused.

“B-but, why, I-I thought you didn’t want to” stuttered Sakura who was the only one who wasn’t smiling.

“I don’t know, I thought about, and I decided, ‘why not?’ I mean, before I thought it would way too much work, but, I mean, if I can come to cheerleading practice in the morning, I can do this” I say smiling.

Finally, Sakura smiled and they all hugged me, almost squeezing me half to death. “Alright, alright, don’t kill me now, or you really won’t get to do lip-sync”

We all laugh and pay attention to the tryouts again; and I manage to spot Sasuke, and if I didn’t know better, I’d think he was smiling.