Chapter Fifty-Seven

-*Sasuke*-

“I hate you!”

“Just stay away from me.”

I grip the steering wheel tighter as the unwanted thoughts of several minutes ago float through my head. I slow to a stop as the light changes from yellow to red; now I had nothing to distract me from the memory of possibly the worst moment of my life, other than when my parents were killed of course.

Finally, after what felt like hours, the light returned to green and I raced back home, away from the banquet hall, and everything else.

I walked all the way to the large front doors in a daze and barely registered Miho asking me a question. The minute I was in the confines of my room, I immediately collapsed on my large bed. As I stared at the ceiling above me, I could do nothing but think about what exactly had happened back at the Homecoming dance.

One thing was for sure; Sayuri hates me.

Unconsciously, my eyes land on the picture on my nightstand from back at the amusement park. A smile makes its way to my face followed rather closely by a tear waiting for the right moment to show itself.

“Sasuke, how’d it go? Did she forgive you?” I pretend I didn’t hear her, and instead stuff my face into my pillow.

Since she obviously can’t hear my thoughts telling her to go away, she decides to enter my room. She stays silent for a bit, probably taking in the sight of my actually stuffing my face into a pillow.

“Sasuke, what happened?” she walks closer and sits in my swivel chair by my computer.

Finally, after realizing that she wasn’t about to leave anytime soon; I turn to her. “She hates me.” My voice was flat, and I’m pretty sure I had a straight face, so why is it that I couldn’t hold back a stupid tear?

~*Sayuri*~

After I left the dance with Naruto, I had all the time in the world to think about where I would be staying since Sakura didn’t want me at her house anymore. Too bad I couldn’t think about anything else with Sasuke’s face floating through my head and haunting me.

I couldn’t get that event out of my head; it continued playing like a broken video stuck on the same scene. Guilt was devouring me alive but I had too much female pride to call him and apologize.

I couldn’t help but feel sad; he looked so hurt, which was weird because I had never seen that face on Sasuke before, except when I slapped him that one time, but even then was different. This time, it looked much worse, and if I didn’t know better, I’d think I broke his heart.

Of course, as if to rub it in my face, Naruto asks; “So where’re you going to go now?”

I sigh, and hold back warm tears fighting to escape; “I don’t know, Nori.”

I could feel him staring at me, but decide to ignore it. After about a few minutes of staring out the window, we arrived at a destination that I had no idea we were headed. I stepped out of the car and almost tripped over my heels when I realized where we were. We were at his house.

“Why are we here?” I continue staring at his rather large apartment complex.

“You’re sleeping over.”  He grins and drags me through the door before I could object. After climbing a bunch of stairs (no wonder he’s so fit…), we finally reach his apartment. “It’s a bit messy in there, but I have an extra room…” he eventually trails off and opens the door.

Almost immediately, a strong smell of spoilt milk chokes me. Along with that, I manage to catch sight of instant ramen cartons and several outfits littering the somewhat dusty floor.

“You call this ‘a bit’?!” I ask in exclamation, while staring at his room in a slight fascination. Unintentionally, a laugh escapes my lips. “Seems just like you!”

He huffs in a playful way, and leads me through the mess to the extra room which was crawling with dust, and I sneezed about a million times in a span of five minutes. Finally, after opening the window and dusting a bit, I was able to be somewhat comfortable. Since I had practically ruining my dress with dust, he went to get me a change of clothes while I showered.

Still, the previous events never left my mind, and all I could think about, whether I liked it or not, was that single tear that escaped Sasuke’s eye before I turned around. I couldn’t believe it; I had made him cry.

-'Naruto'-

I never expected this to happen, I mean I was open to the fact that she would eventually start dating someone, but I never thought it would Sasuke, of all people. Not to mention that ever since I met her, she had always told me that she didn’t like him.

And now, all of a sudden they’re kissing?!

I literally had to stop myself from punching him in the face, mainly because Sayuri actually looks like she’s enjoying it. Apparently I stared for too long because soon Sakura and her cheerleading followers formed a crowd around them.

I raced there as fast as I could while silently cursing myself for being so shocked, but I mean you’d be shocked too if you found out that your best friend, who was like a little sister to you, was keeping this big of a secret.

The thing is; I don’t think she was ever planning to tell me.

Anyway, after homecoming, I decided to let her stay at my place since she obviously had nowhere to stay, I mean, what’s a best friend for?

After showing her the room and getting her a change of clothes, I decided to finally ask her what that scene at homecoming really was.

So after she changed, I called her over. “Can we talk?” she looked a bit disturbed, but came over anyway.

“Okay, what do you want to talk about?” she asks taking a seat on the couch after moving one of my shirts. I should really clean this place…

“What do you think I want to talk about?” I sigh as she realizes what I mean. “What the hell was that?!”

She looks down at her hands in her lap. “I honestly did not know that would happen.” She looked like she was going to cry again.

“Stop crying, Sayuri.” I hoped this wouldn’t happen.

She quickly wipes the tear running down her cheek, “I wasn’t crying.”

“Like I’d believe that.” I sigh and look at her again, this time she lets the tears run free. “You know you’re like a little sister to me; I thought we didn’t keep secrets.”

“We don’t!” she looks up at me, making me regret bringing up the topic.

“Then what the hell was that, Sayuri?! Last time I checked, you weren’t going out with Sasuke.” I tried my hardest to remain calm because even though I was shocked, I wasn’t mad at her, surprisingly.

She stays quiet and goes back to staring at her hands. “Were you ever planning to tell me?” I couldn’t help it, I had to ask.

She looks up at me in shock, like she couldn’t believe I could even think that. “Of course, but I thought you’d be mad…” she trails off and I sigh. A few more tears roll down her cheek making me think she’s isn’t crying about our conversation. Wait, don’t tell me...

“I only have one question.” She looks up again from her highly manicured nails. “Do you love him?”