Chapter Sixty-One

~*Sayuri*~

I wake abruptly only to find myself in a dark room with equally dark furniture. Somehow, the room seems familiar, but I can’t quite place it. I decide to sit up to get a better view of my surroundings, but that proved to be a hard task since my head decided it wanted to be mean to me.

I have a pounding headache and I have no idea where I am. Huh, if I didn’t know better, I’d think I was kidnapped…or something like that.

Suddenly scared, I decide to look around to try and identify the place. That doesn’t work out too well with a headache. So after many failed tries, I manage to see what looks like a picture frame on the nightstand. So, of course, being the curious person that I am; I pick it up and turn it over to take a look.

I really wish I didn’t.

Unlike the room, I immediately recognized the picture. I could never forget that picture, even if I wanted to. Especially if I wanted to.

The picture brought the answers I needed, but also unwanted memories all while bringing fresh tears. They rolled slowly down my cheeks before I could even try to stop them. And here I thought I cried all my tears already…

I really want to believe that this isn’t the same picture I took with Sasuke on our first ‘date’, but even I can’t try to lie to myself with the proof right in front of me.

A sharp knock on the door has me frantically wiping at my tears while returning the picture frame. I desperately wish for it to be anyone other than Sasuke, but for some reason, I feel like I want it to be Sasuke. I desperately want it to be Sasuke.

It isn’t Sasuke.

My obvious disappointment must have showed because the middle-aged lady smiled at me as soon as she entered. Weirdly, it wasn’t the polite smile that you’d get from most people; it was like she expected me to be disappointed.

“I brought you some pain medication, for your headache,” she said, still smiling. Her voice sounded nice and soft, like she wasn’t used to talking much. She handed me a smallish pill and a glass of what I assumed to be water, because nowadays, you can’t be sure. She laughs, “No worries, it’s water.”

I quickly take the pill as she watches, making me feel rather uncomfortable. Suddenly it seemed like she remembered something, “You probably don’t know me…I’m sorry for not introducing myself earlier; I’m Miho, the housekeeper slash babysitter.” She grins and for a minute, I have the urge to smile back.

“I’m Sayuri” I reply, trying to be polite.

She just giggles, “I know. He tells me a lot about you,” she says taking a seat at the edge of the bed. I continue staring at her, probably looking very confused. “About his mixed feeling, how he suddenly feels like seeing you all the time, how he can’t stop thinking about you…” she trails off, leaving me staring. He said that much about me?!

She then turns to me, looking sad. “He’s sad, you know. Really sad. He keeps saying how sorry he is about what happened. How he wants to go back to how it was. How much he wishes you’d forgive him.”

I finally look away and instead focus on the dim lamp on the nightstand. “I forgive him” I turn back to her with a sad smile. “Tell him I said that, won’t you?”

She smiles back, “of course” she then makes her walk back to the door.

With a sigh, I prepare to leave. As I do that, I notice I’m not wearing my clothes. They looked like they would belong to Miho since they’re a bit big. I make a mental note to return them.

I quickly make the bed as a way of thanks and turn to leave. There’s just one problem with that. Sasuke’s leaning on the door.

I quickly turn around to keep from staring at him. It doesn’t help much, since I know he’s still there. “Sayu…”

No matter how many times he says it, my heart will always trip at the sound of my name coming from his lips. “Can…can you please not call me that?” I feel the now familiar tears prick at my eyes, begging to escape, but I block them, and for once it works.

“Sayu-ri…” he sounds close, much too close. And my feel like they’re not going to hold my weight much longer. A medium-sized black bag makes it into my line of sight. “Your dress, do you still want it?”

I quickly take the bag, half-heartedly hoping he’d go away. He didn’t. So, having no particular reason to stay, I turn to leave.

“Sayu..ri, wait, I really have to talk to you.” It almost sounded like he was pleading. Begging to be heard. It hurt, it hurt so much, but I had to keep walking, even though he kept following.

“Damn it will you wait!” The door was a few steps away but I couldn’t help but stop. “I’m sorry. I’m really sorry about what happened at homecoming, but I don’t regret it”

I bite my lip to keep from sobbing, and somehow convince my legs to keep walking.

“Kissing you was the best choice I ever made.” The door was within my arm’s reach but I couldn’t bring myself to stretch. “I could never regret kissing you, Sayu”

Of course, my heart tripped again, but this time it tumbled down a very steep hill because before I knew it, I was facing him and my back was to the wall and he said the most unexpected thing. Well, maybe not the most, but it sure was unexpected.

“I love you”

Before I could respond, his lips were on mine and to say it was bliss, would be a definite understatement. My mind must have betrayed me because all I could think was I love you too, Sasuke Uchiha.