Chapter Forty-Four

I’ll protect you

Ugh, it won’t get out of my head; what Sasuke said. He’s haunting me!!!! I huff and stomp my way to morning cheerleading practice, but before I ‘enter’ - I can’t exactly do that since there’s no door, it’s just the side of the school – the field for cheerleading practice, I have to calm down.

Okay Sayuri, breathe… And, I’m good

So, I walk onto the field where the cheerleaders are, and of course, they all notice me right when I arrive; isn’t that weird?? I wonder how they do that.

Anyway, I smile and walk over to them noticing that some were sweating and drinking water while others were stretching. Aww, they even started warming up

I smiled wider and gathered up the cheerleaders to start practice. “Alright, gather up!!” I exclaim pulling up my regular chair so I could sit down.Almost immediately, they sat down on the grass in front of me in a half circle.

"Uh Sayuri" asks Sakura who was in the front row.

"Hmm??" I ask looking at her, along with the other girls.

"What about lip-sync??" She asked looking worried.

I just smiled, "I was just about to get to that Sakura" I said still smiling. She nodded looking somewhat relieved.

"Anyway, about lip-sync, I've already organized everything and I think it should go well" I say before standing up.

"So we're going to start the new routine now??" one of the other cheerleaders asks.

“Actually, yes you are” I say trying to see if they'll get my point. They don't.

“Wait, what do you mean ‘we are’, aren’t you going to teach us the routine??” Ino asks, looking confused. Huh, maybe she is smarter than she looks.

"No Ino, I'm not going to teach you the routine. You guys will teach me the routine" I say grinning.

"I don't get it, we don't know the routine" says Sakura and the others nod in agreement.

"Sure you do" I say as they look even more confused.

"Wait, what routine are we talking about??" asks a cheerleader in the back.

"The lip-sync one" I say easily as they look at each other questioningly. I sigh and continue; "look guys, you think you don't it because you haven't created it yet" I say emphasizing 'created'.

"Create it?? I thought you do that" said another cheerleader.

"Normally I would, but this time I decided that you guys should. It would easier to learn if you make it up yourself and it would give us diversity and creativity. In addition I frankly don't have time to create a whole lip-sync routine for you guys to learn" I smile at them while they looked like they were trying hard to process what I just said.

I just smiled and shook my head; "now any questions??" Almost immediately, hands shot up in the air.

I was taken back for a second before picking on Sakura who gave me a knowing look; "so basically, you didn't make the routine because you didn't feel like it" she said making me think she knew something that I didn't want her to know.

"That's not a question, and no, that's not it at all. Pre-calculus is demanding more and I've even quit being a tutor, I'm going to fail if I miss one more assignment or if I don't get at least a B on the next test. So I really don't have the time to create a routine for you guys" I say truthfully. Lately I've been getting not so good grades on tests. I mean normally I would get second or third place, but now I’m like tenth place and that's not good.

Again they looked like they were trying to process what I said. "So if there are no more questions, you may start brainstorming"

And so they got up one by one to start thinking up dance ideas. Meanwhile I was too busy being haunted by Sasuke's words the day before that I didn't notice that he was right by me until he called my name. And so you could see how I would be thoroughly startled by his presence.

"What do you want??" I ask not bothering to hide my displeasure.

He just smirks and hands me a whistle; "Kakashi-sensei told me to give it to you" he says as I take the whistle. Yes!!! I actually have one of these now!!!

I grin and wave at Kakashi; "thanks Kakashi-sensei!!" Since I can't exactly see his face I'm just going to assume he's smiling too. He also waves and goes back to drilling the soccer team.

"He also says that you can use any of the guys for your lip-sync thing" says Sasuke, smirking.

I quickly look back at the girls who were looking at Sasuke lovingly, or maybe I should say fangirlingly, if that's even a word.

I just sigh; "that won't be necessary" I could just see the disappointment on the girls faces. "You can go now" I say when he doesn't leave.

He just smirks; "why? I'm your stalker" he says blowing warm air on my ear. I turn to glare at him but he already left.

"Uh Sayuri, your face is red" says Sakura looking at me strangely.

"No it's not" I say quickly turning away from them.

"You're blushing!!" exclaims Ino pointing at my face.

"It's rude to point Ino" I say brushing off her finger.

"Were you just flirting with him?!?" asks Sakura looking beyond shocked. "I thought you didn't like him"

"I don't and I wasn't flirting with him" I say feeling my face getting warmer.

"If you weren't then why was your face so red??" asks Ino still pointing to my face.

"Didn't I say it's rude to point??" I ask trying to stray the conversation. It didn't work. Gosh they're soo persistent.

"That's not important right now!!!" Exclaims Ino even though she stopped pointing at me.

"Anyway, I have a ton of work to do so I'll be in the library" I say quickly making my escape. They protest quite loudly and even make an effort to follow me instead are stopped by Anko-sensei who blows her whistle and tells them to either get working or to run 10 laps around the field.

I smile a make a mental note to thank Anko-sensei later and also to kick Sasuke in the shin when I see him next. If it wasn't for him Anko-sensei wouldn't have to save me.

Sighing, I walk to the library to finish, more like start on, my pre-calculus homework. Seeing as I was being haunted by Sasuke last night, I didn’t get to work on my homework. Well, I was about to but I couldn’t because I simply couldn’t get Sasuke’s words out of my head.

So if I fail pre-calculus, I blame Sasuke. -_-