Chapter 4

"Ok, our game against Jefferson high is today," Kane said.

"Monroe, you're not playing," Grayson said.

"Kinda already knew that, Grayson," I said.

"Watch it or you're sitting out the next game too," he warned and I rolled my eyes.

"Ok, let's load up," Kane said, we walked in the school and got on the bus. It was one of those charter buses, we started riding and my phone buzzed. I looked at it and it was a picture, it was Sophie and a boy kissing. Tyler Collins, I broke up with him the day before I left. She was kissing him and I locked my phone and looked out the window.

We got to the school and we got off, we walked down to the field. I walked to the bench with the boys behind me.

"Monroe, come lead exercises," Grayson said and we walked on our side.

"Sit down and touch your toes," I ordered and they did. "Switch." they switched and we continued. I heard arguing and we looked.

"She's a girl," I saw the other coach say to the referee. "She can't play boy rugby."

"You can't be serious," Brody said.

"It's not against the rules for genders to mix," the referee stated.

"What do we look like tackling a girl?" A player asked and one boys eyes met mine. He smirked and I clenched my jaw, I turned to Grayson.

"You have to let me play," I said.

"No," he said.

"Grayson, please," I said.

"No," he said sternly.

"Grayson," I said.

"No Monroe, so drop it," he snapped.

"Will you stop being a jerk for two seconds?" I snapped and he got in my face.

"If you don't shut up, I'm gonna slap you in two seconds," he hissed. "Now drop it." I stomped my foot and I started to walk away, but he grabbed my shirt and pulled me back. "Lose the attitude and lose it real quick Braylon." he let go and pushed me forward, I walked over to the bench and I sat down.

They all got set and the ref blew the whistle, they charged and a Jefferson player got the ball. Caden and Hayes tackled him and he tossed the ball to another player but Grayson intercepted, he shouldered the dude and ran right when he was about to get tackled he tossed it to Brody and he scored. We cheered and they got set again, they kept playing good and half time came. They were winning and I stood up.

"Don't say a word," Caden said.

"I wasn't," I said and they hydrated. Halftime ended and they got back on the field. They played and we got caught up, they got set for another play and the whistle blew. Hayes got the ball and tossed it to Brody and he tossed it to Brady, he tossed it to Grayson. They nailed Grayson and he went to the ground, he sat up and grabbed his ankle. I got up and I went on the field, I walked through them and bent next to him. I went to touch it and he slapped my arm.

"Are you crazy?" He spat.

"Just let me see," I said and he moved his hand, it was swollen. "It's just sprained, but you can't play." Brody and Zach helped him up and walked to the bench, he sat down and they brought him an ice pack. He iced his ankle and the game continued. We won and we got on the bus, we drove back and we went home.

~*~

"I'm sorry you didn't get to play," Sloane said leaning against her locker.

"It's cool, we still won," I said.