Chapter 54

Grayson's POV

"Two mochas, extra whip cream on one," I ordered and the girl nodded and I walked back. Desmond, Zach, and I got Jayden and Sloane to get Braylon and Kali from the house. We stripped Kali's room down and fixed it as a toddler room.

Her face seeing the big girl bed was priceless. She didn't like it though, I ended up squeezing in beside her and falling asleep next to her. Braylon didn't know whether to say, aw, or scream at me.

"Grayson," a familiar voice said and I turned, I wish I didn't and would've ran.

"Mom," I said, she was wearing a white and black pant suit. Her long black hair was pulled back and contained with a clip.

"I stopped by the house but Michael said you weren't home," she said, I looked away from her.

"It's been three years, what the hell are you doing back?" I asked.

"I don't appreciate that way to be talked to," she said and I chuckled.

"Well, nobody was there to teach me how to talk to women," I said.

"Grayson," the girl called and I walked up grabbing the two mochas.

"I have somewhere I gotta go," I said to her and walked out.

"Grayson stop," she said but I didn't, she grabbed my wrist and I turned to her.

"You're not my mother, a mom doesn't abandon her son," I snapped and she looked away, I sat the two cups on top of my car. "You kept saying it was my fault-"

"I never said that," she said.

"You told grandma that," I snapped taking a step closer, I've always been taller than her. "You said that they took the wrong twin and it should've been me. I'm sorry I was such a fucking disappointment for you."

"Don't you dare curse at me," she said with tears pruning in her eyes.

"She may have been your daughter, but she was my twin," I said. "Do you have any idea what that feels like to lose half of you? To hate your birthday because you felt selfish? To be reminded that you killed your twin because you couldn't say no?"

"Shut up," she said.

"No, I've been carrying this around with me too damn long," I snapped. "I'm sorry it wasn't me that died in that wreck, because I wish it was me too. I never was the twin she deserved and I'll never get to change that. You know the first year I spent without her on my birthday, I went to her grave. I placed our twin necklace around the gravestone, laid against it, and told her everything that happened that year. I sobbed, crying telling her our mom hated me and I should be dead and not her."

"Grayson please stop," she said as tears slipped from her eyes.

"You lost a kid and I get that, but I was driving," I said. "I was driving perfectly, but the look of vulnerability is what kills everyday. The look that said, save me, but I couldn't do anything." I opened my car door and got in, I pulled down my sun visor. It was a picture of Alyssa and me on our 16 birthday. "I look at that picture every time before I go to school."

"Who is that?" She asked and I saw the picture of Kali and me at the beach. She was kissing my cheek.

"That's my girls baby," I said. "But I claim her as mine."

"Who's the girl?" She asked and I looked at her and got out.

"No, when I met Braylon is the time you should've been here, but you weren't," I said. "You know a month after you left, everything hit me. My family blamed me for my twin sisters death, I split my family up, and it's my fault everything is wrong. That night I almost ended everything, because I got tired of the pain." She looked away and covered her mouth as a sob slipped out, I felt a pang in my heart. I hugged her and she cried into my chest. "Mama don't cry, please don't cry." I kissed her head and she hugged my tighter. "I'm not leaving, I'm right here, I promise mom."