Chapter 23

•Your POV•

I ran into headquarters, ignoring everyone. I didn't care if William was pissed. I didn't care if I got punished. My door slammed and locked as I slid down against it.

'What happened? I was so happy...' My thoughts were constant, 'What about Alois and Ciel? They are enemies. Alois said he liked me, but I like Ciel. But does Ciel really care for me? Do I maybe care for Alois?"

"Gah!" I punched a dent in the wall out of rage. I wanted to punch every damn thing in my way at this point. I hated William for keeping me on a leash. I'm like a pathetic dog.

Knock knock

"(Y/N)? You in there?" Nikki asked through the door.
"One second." I mumbled and unlocked it, pulling my friend inside before slamming the door again.

"Woah, you okay?" She asked while sitting on her bed.
"No, Nikki, I'm not okay." I sigh and sit beside her.

There was a puff of smoke before a brown cat with green eyes was sitting beside me, "How about you scratch behind my ears and explain everything."
I smile and set cat Nikki on my lap, petting her fur. "Well..."

----------

"Oh my glob." She gasped, "That's a rough day."
"I know. Now I'm not sure what to do. Plus I'm all sad." I groan and rub her stomach.

Nikki purred and looked up at me. "You need a break from all this boy time. Look, I'll help out with whatever job Willie Wonka gives you, okay? We can have some girl time."

I laughed a bit at the nickname she gave William. "Yea, I need that. Thank you so much."
"Nikki at your service!" She meowed and closed her eyes, "Now back to the petting."
I chuckled and rubbed her stomach. Maybe this won't be so bad after all.

------------

"I can't feel my feet!!!!" Nikki whined.
"I won't be able to feel my ears if you don't stop complaining." I sigh and scan through the to-die list.

"Well I guess it's my fault for agreeing to help you with this. It's frickin' two in the morning." Nikki groaned. I chuckle and continue checking off the souls we have reaped so far.
"Great!" I smile, "We have an hour before our next collection. There's a group suicide at the top of a hotel roof."

"A break! Finally!" Nikki collapsed onto the grass with a heavy sigh. I chuckle and sit beside her.
"A penny for your thoughts?" She asked, gazing up at me.

"Not much honestly. Just the usual drama regarding Ciel and Alois." I advert my eyes to take interest in the flowers.
Nikki got up and hugged me, she muttered an "I'm so sorry."
Before I could respond, her breathing slowed.

I sigh realizing Nikki had fallen asleep. I pull blades of grass from the ground, making as little movement as possible so not to wake her.
'I hate love.' I think to myself, 'Love is supposed to feel great. Now it hurts like hell...'

Nikki stirs a bit and cuddles against me for warmth after a breeze goes by. I hug her.
'At least I have my best friend with me.' I smile while looking at Nikki, she was peaceful in her sleep.
"Thank you for being there for me." I smile and watch the clock slowly tick. Counting down the seconds closer to whatever lied ahead.