Chapter 63

It took everything I had to keep Mey-Rin quiet the rest of the day.
She nearly exploded with pure excitement after I told her, demanding I share every single detail, to which I agreed.

As of now, I'm currently waiting in the main hall for Ciel to make his way down the stairs so we can go. I was very eager to get my plans in motion, set on a specific schedule that I couldn't afford to allow to be interrupted.
After a few minutes longer, I heard a door unlock upstairs along with the sound of heels clacking across the floorboards.
A grin spread onto my cheeks as I adjusted my posture to what Sebastian taught me was 'proper' and waited. Soon enough, Ciel was being guided down the stairs, a gorgeous flowing dress trailing at his feet as a set of pigtails whirled behind him. He looked beautiful...was that a strange thought?

"Say anything and I'll send you right back to Reaper HQ." The bluenette hissed, a embarrassed blush already spread across his cheeks to the point where he was nearly all red.
I smirked, snaking my arm around his slim waist, careful not to ruin Nina's ever so neat stitching. "Come on, is that what a well mannered lady would say to her date?"

Sebastian threw a wink of approval my way while Ciel just grumbled a few curses. The three of us headed out the large double doors and to the awaiting carriage, Sebastian taking a seat in the front to steer, insisting the young master and I needed some alone time.
That demon's thoughts were always so tainted.
I allowed Ciel to sit down first, making the choice to seat myself across from him.

"So you wanted me to attend the ball with you simply because you needed company? Or is there a hidden motive?" The bluenette asked as soon as the carriage pulled forward into motion.
I shrugged, feigning nonchalance. "Listen, love, these events can be a drag when you're on your own, especially if it's going to be a grand ball with how many people in attendance..and I have to sit and wait hours for some poor man to drink himself to death, climb a balcony, and fall off. It'll be more fun with someone else there."
That was all completely true, I just left out one small, tiny, minuscule detail: I wanted to propose.

I knew it wasn't the most romantic of settings, but I did have a general idea of how I wanted it to go, and Sebastian already agreed he'd help me when I spoke to him awhile back. The only piece I needed was Ciel's cooperation.

He rolled his eyes, yet the smile on his face told me he wasn't all that annoyed. "Well, alright then. I'll be your company, so long as my identity is kept secret."
I reached over and took his hand, grinning from ear to ear. "Thank you."

Before we knew it, the carriage had stopped and the door opened. Various voices filled my ears, excited chatter enveloping the silence and swallowing it whole.
Ciel and I stepped out, thanked Sebastian, and headed into the crowded ballroom.

"I can't believe I let you talk me into this.." Ciel seemed uncomfortable as soon as we walked inside.
I chuckled, holding his hand tighter. "You're a beautiful young lady, there's no need to feel nervous."

"And you're a prick, (Y/N)." Ciel growled, more flustered than he was earlier.

I simply smirked, dragging him along with me to different areas of the hall. Over for food, then drinks, then a table to chat, then off to a corner so Ciel could take a breather, and back out to the crowd. It seemed after only an hour or so, he had begun to loosen up a bit and enjoy himself.
I felt relieved.

"Alright, so you remember awhile back when you were trying to prepare breakfast for me in the kitchen with Sebastian?" Ciel spoke up while we sat by ourselves at one of the tables.

"Yes, then you came barging in and ruined the surprise. Why?" I replied with a confused head tilt.

He laughed nervously, seeming reluctant to admit anything. "Well, the reason I came in so quickly was because I thought the two of you were getting up to...something else."

"Ciel!" I whispered, shocked that he'd even think that. "Are you serious? Is that why you seemed so angry coming in?"
His sheepish smile caused me to crack a grin of my own. "Were you jealous?"

"Jealous! Pfft..no.." Ciel waved his hand dismissively. "I wasn't jealous, just concerned."

"Sure, concerned. I still don't fully believe you." I watched him open his mouth, prepared to defend himself, but a man collapsing beside our table caused the both of us to jump.

"I'm so sorry! My apologies," Another man rushed over to help his friend up from the ground. "My buddy here has had a bit too much to drink, he won't bother you again."

"No worries! Really." I flashed an understanding smile, now knowing the face of my target for that night.
The sober man nodded thankfully and pulled his wasted friend off into the crowd.

"Was that him?" Ciel asked, watching me stand.
"Yes, it has to be. I'm going to follow him, would you care to come, my dear?" I reached out a hand, feeling smug with the way the bluenette flushed pink.
He reached out for my hand, allowing me to move him over to the dance floor. Before he knew what was happening, I had held Ciel in a dancing position, swaying to the rhythm of the other couples around us.

"I did not agree to dance!" He pouted. "Besides, how will you keep an eye on anyone this way?"

"Stop worrying your pretty little head, love. Trust me." I teased, kissing the top of his head before spinning him out and away from me. And when he spun back, I had already gone.