Chapter 62

Ciel and I's chase to get Grell out of the manor extended from late afternoon into early evening, leaving us less time to prepare for the ball.
We hadn't even had a chance to eat.

Although, despite it taking far longer than planned, we all managed to get the reaper to leave. Well, with Sebastian's help.
"Thank god he's gone." Ciel wiped his forehead with the back of his hand, exhaling with relief.
I chuckled. "Grell is a handful, I know."

"Seeing as that took up a good portion of the day," Sebastian began as he checked his pocket watch, "I should probably help my lord prepare for the ball. Lady (Y/N), would you mind Mey-Rin assisting you? I have to task myself with keeping the young lords identity a secret, so there may be limited time for me to check in on you."

I smiled with a nod, not minding at all. Mey-Rin and I needed some more time together regardless, and I wasn't sure if Nikki was the best person to drag into this. Besides, I had some plans for tonight other than collecting souls. "I don't mind at all. Is the suit I chose already lied out?"

"Yes, of course, it's in the guest room." The butler motioned up the staircase with a wave of his hand. "The maid is already waiting."

"Efficient as usual, Sebastian. Thank you." I stood on my toes and pecked his cheek before making my way to Ciel. I leaned forward and gave him a kiss on the cheek as well. "See you in a bit, my love. Wear something pretty."

Ciel coughed with rosy cheeks, clearly not used to the affection. "Y-Yes, see you."
With that, I giggled and headed up the stairs and around the corner towards the guest room. As promised, Mey-Rin sat on the bed, admiring the suit.
My expression softened, her crush on Sebastian was rather cute in a way, if only she could tell him.
"Mey-Rin?"

My voice startled her. The maid whipped around, wide eyed for a moment until she realized it was me and relaxed. "Oh, my lady, it's only you. Ready to get dressed?"
I nodded, closing the door behind me before making my way to the bed. "Yes, thank you for assisting me, I appreciate it."

"Oh, of course! It's no trouble at all! It's actually nice having another lady around the manor who needs my help." Mey-Rin confessed with a grin. She plucked up the white button up shirt, running her hand along the folds to smooth it out as I stripped down to my underwear.

"So you and the young master are going out to a ball? How exciting!" She gushed. "I would love to dress up all fancy and go somewhere with my dearest..."

"Sebastian?" I inquired with a smirk.

The maid squealed, burying her red face into the material of the shirt. "What?? No! What would- What would give you that idea?"

I couldn't help but laugh, her reaction was cute. Mey-Rin must really be pining for the demon. "Your feelings are obvious, Mey, why don't you talk with him?"

"I could never do that!" She shook her head at the thought, holding up the shirt so my arms could slip through the sleeves. "Besides, he's so gorgeous, any woman would be lucky to have him as their lover. I'm content with just working by his side."

"Don't degrade yourself, you're beautiful. Take my advice and try talking with him, you may be surprised." I insisted, turning around so I could face the woman before me. She smiled shyly.
"Thank you, (Y/N). I'll remember that."

I grinned softly, beginning to button up the white shirt as Mey-Rin reached for the pants.
"So," She spoke up suddenly. "How are things with the young master? Well, I hope, seeing how happy he is now."

It was my turn to blush lightly. "Things are wonderful, I actually have something planned for tonight's ball.." My voice trailed off as I stepped into the pants, tugging them up before fastening the clip to hold them at my waist.
Mey-Rin helped tuck the shirt it while we talked. "Plans? Like what?"

I fiddled with my fingers, unsure of whether or not I should confide in the maid. Although, it technically couldn't hurt, so I didn't see why it would be an issue. "Promise you won't tell a soul?"

Mey-Rin blinked. She handed me the vest, a curious look across her face. "Well, of course."

With an inhale, I realized I've never actually said it out loud. But it was too late to back out now, and I knew Mey-Rin was trustworthy.
"I intend to propose to Ciel tonight."