5

C H A P T E R  5

"Have a great year, son," Jacob Flint said to his only son as he watched him set off for his Third Year at Hogwarts.

Marcus Flint however wasn't paying any attention to his parents who were sad to see him leave. His eyes were set on a certain brown haired beauty that would never give him the time of day unless they were fighting during class or during Quidditch.

"Marcus," his mother spoke grabbing his shoulder with her hand to turn him towards her.

Marcus broke from his stare and faced his parents. "Right. Thanks," he muttered and hugged his mother, Amelia.

As his parents went back through the barrier, he turned and saw her talking with the twins. 'Those twins,' he thought with a sneer.

"Hey Marcus," his best friend Adrian Pucey called from the door of the train. "C'mon, everyone's waiting,"

Marcus sighed and surrendered his stare again. But who was he kidding? Why was he wasting his time on someone who was sworn to be his enemy? He shook these thoughts out of his mind and proceeded onto the train.

Flint followed Pucey to the Slytherin compartment, as they called it. Only the Slytherins sat there and no other house dared enter unless they wanted a fight.

"You seem out of it mate," Adrian spoke as they at down and started up a conversation about the upcoming Quidditch season where Marcus was named Slytherin captain.

Marcus shrugged his shoulders passively. He was indeed out of it. He had just seen the girl that clogged up his mind practically all the time. He knew he shouldn't think about her since she was Gryffindor's Golden Girl. However, maybe he could be the one to infiltrate the magic norms. If his parents knew what he was thinking right now, he would surely never hear the end of it and would probably never go to Hogwarts again. Actually, his parents were thinking about sending him to Durmstrang since their choice of magical learning was much more selective than Hogwarts. Durmstrang was located in the far north of Europe and his mother stated that this was too far away.

Jacob Flint was very much close with Durmstrang headmaster Igor Karkaroff and would be very comfortable knowing his son was in good hands.

"Please don't tell me you're back there again, Marcus?" Adrian asked him in a lowered voice.

Marcus realized what Adrian was referring too and looked up at him, his expression blank, but his eyes reading yes. Marcus hated these thoughts since he knew it would never happen in a million years, but he couldn't help think about her. She was perfect and he loved a girl he could quarrel with once in a while.

Adrian knew about Marcus' crush since last year and since he knew his feelings seemed to really encompass his mind, he decided to keep it a secret. He also knew that crushes were a phase and Marcus would soon grow out of it. The other Slytherins would skin him alive if they knew what he was thinking, and especially who he was thinking about.

"Marcus, c'mon. I hate to say this, but can you level out the facts and see that this needs to stop?" Pucey questioned.

Marcus sighed and sat back. The two talked for the rest of the train ride and Marcus agreed with him. He couldn't keep having these thoughts and knew he had to get rid of them. His bad boy Slytherin attitude had to grow and match the views of his parents. He couldn't keep thinking it was right to like Gryffindor half-bloods. This year he was going to end his feelings and try to play some mind games with her like he usually did to upset her.

• • • • •

'Oh my gosh, what have I done?' Marcus thought as he scrambled out of the Great Hall. 'Why did I prank her?'