52

C H A P T E R 52

Remus Lupin sat at the desk in his tiny flat, going through the Daily Prophet in search of a job. He had recently lost his last job, once again, to the fact that he was a registered werewolf. He sighed and glanced out the window, certain that there was no one advertising in the Prophet that would you want to hire him. It was still too soon after his condition was last found out.

He was about to return to the newspaper when movement caught his eye. Remus looked more closely and jumped up to open the window as his owl soared in. He sighed again, thinking, Just another bill I'll have to scrape up money for. He took the envelope, turned it over and dropped it. The Hogwarts crest grinned up at him from the wax sealing the letter closed.

I must be dreaming, Remus thought. What could Hogwarts want with me? I graduated sixteen long years ago. They couldn't possibly want anything from me.

But the werewolf had to believe that he was not dreaming, because he was on his feet, and his owl, Stardom, was staring at him with unblinking eyes, expecting praise for delivering the letter. Stardom, at least, saw nothing out of the ordinary.

Slowly, Remus bent to pick up the fallen envelope and opened it with shaking hands. His heart was beating very fast. It had been a long time since he had heard anything from Dumbledore. If this is even from Dumbledore, Remus thought, determined not to get his hopes up. He unfolded the parchment and read it, trying to restrain the rising excitement and wild hope that was filling him.

Dear Mr. Lupin,
Upon receiving word of your recent unemployment, I immediately decided to write. Once again, I have found myself short a staff member and would like to offer the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher to you. I have not forgotten your condition, as I believe that itis the regretful reason for your loss of work. I have spoken to the staff, and although some members have voiced slight objections, I am certain that it is nothing that cannot be overcome.

I have also spoken to an old classmate of yours who works here. He is the Potions master, and more than capable of providing you with Wolfsbane every month. Though I know there was a certain enmity between your friends and his, I hope that time may have healed some old grievances, and that the two of you will be able to at least tolerate each other's presence. That said, the Shrieking Shack is always open as an option as well.

I hope you will seriously consider my offer. Payment will be discussed with your application. Please reply soon, but not hastily. I understand that you have always had a love of teaching, but that you are also well aware of certain, ah, limitations. Please do not let that stop you, though I will understand if you are not comfortable with the position.

Regards,
Albus PWB Dumbledore

P.S. Do not let this sway you, but I would hate to have to come up with another candidate for the post. I do not wish to make light of a serious situation, but I am most glad that you are available to take my offer. I was starting to worry about not finding anyone qualified to teach. Thank you again.

But could he accept, knowing that if he was not careful he could end up killing, or worse, only mauling a student? He could not force his fate on anyone else. He would not be able to live with that. Well, of course not. The Ministry would kill you anyway, since they don't normally send werewolves to Azkaban.

Remus sighed. He would have to think about this. But the hope that had filled him at the second line of the letter would not leave him. Remus found that he could not concentrate on the Prophet anymore. He began to pace, objections and counter-objections turning over and over in his mind. Finally, Remus gave up and collapsed into bed, but it took him a long time to fall asleep.