41

C H A P T E R 41

Christmas had come, and the castle was covered in a thick layer of snow, as were the grounds. The students all enjoyed themselves as they were constantly out in the snow, bundled up in their cloaks, and had snowball fights.

Ginny awoke a little earlier than she normally had been lately when she heard a faint knocking on her dorm room door Christmas morning.

She sat up and pulled back the curtains. "Come in," she answered groggily.

The door cracked open and Hermione poked her head in. "Merry Christmas Ginny!" she said cheerfully.

"Oh, Hermione," Ginny sat up quickly, rubbing her eyes with a weary smile on her own face. "Happy Christmas to you too, Hermione. What brings you here so early?"

"Oh, I just thought I wish you a merry Christmas before I go and give my presents to the boys," she answered as she entered the room.

"Really?" Ginny asked in surprise. "I thought that we aren't in allowed others dorms,"

"We aren't," Hermione admitted as she walked over to her, carrying a colorfully wrapped package. That was then that Ginny noticed that there was a large pile of presents at the foot of her bed. "But girls can go into the boy's dorm..." Hermione went on as she sat on the edge of her bed and smiled brightly at her. "But they can't come into ours. Apparently when the castle was built, boys were distrusted a lot more than girls,"

"I can see that," Ginny laughed, and for the first time in a long time, it sounded natural to her. It felt nice. For a moment, she almost felt normal again.

"Anyway, I brought you a present," Hermione said, as she held out the small, brightly wrapped gift.

Ginny felt her jaw drop as she stared at it... for a moment, she didn't know what to do."I don't know what to say," she whispered hoarsely as she took it. "If I had known... I'm sorry, Hermione. If I knew that you had gotten me something, I would've..."

"That's alright," Hermione waved her had at the apology. "I didn't expect one. And don't worry about having to get one now either. But I just thought you would like this." She then checked her watch, "Oh," she frowned. "Sorry, Ginny I have to go... I ah... have to go and check on something real quick. But I'll talk to you soon,"

"Ok, thanks" Ginny replied and watched as she went. Ginny stared for a long time at the little present, suddenly wondering why she felt so choked up. She looked down at the small present and felt guilt going through her again. She hadn't even thought of getting something for Hermione. She hadn't really talked to her... and yet she was kind enough to get her something.

And she couldn't believe that there were tears in her eyes. She wiped them away as she slowly opened it. Inside was a luxurious eagle-feather quill. "Beautiful..." she said, as she opened it and ran her fingers along the soft sides—she couldn't wait to use it later to talk to Tom.

She then turned to her other presents and began opening them. She mostly got candy from her brothers, but there were also a bag of Stink Pellets from Fred and George, a book from Percy, and some homemade fudge and usual Weasley sweater from Mum. Ginny laughed as she pulled the dark blue jumper over her head. It smelled of the Burrow and she hugged herself tightly—for one minute believing that she was at home with everyone.

Ginny sniffed as she wiped her eyes dry again. She had forgotten about writing to Mum lately and felt wretched for not doing so. She made a mental note to write soon. She then propped the card up on her night table and stared at it happily for a few minutes.

She then threw the paper down onto the floor, now that she had the dorm to herself, she could make a bigger mess and not have to worry about upsetting any of the other girls. She was about to go downstairs and see what everyone else got when she noticed a small present that she didn't see before.