112

C H A P T E R  112

"So what do you have to do again?" Tonks asked Charlie as they sit down on the tallest tower, to watch the match.

"Mostly watching Madam Hooch and how she calls games. She also gave me a list of common penalties to look for. I spent the last two weeks reading the Quidditch rule book. I've played all my life and had no idea that some penalties even existed."

"That's very exciting," Tonks commented.

"Yeah, I'm excited to get into a referee's mindset."

"You never answered my question from when you asked to stay with me," Tonks said as she adjusted her scarf.

Charlie took out a notepad and quill as commentator Lee Jordan started the pregame announcements. "And what was that?"

"You never answered me if this new job was permanent or not."

He let out a sigh even though he knew this was coming. Tonks was his best friend so he could trust and confide in her. "Honestly, I hope it is. This past year has really made me homesick and I've realized just how much I actually am missing from siblings life. What if something happened to one of them and I wasn't there? I'd feel so awful. Now that they're getting older, I need to think about my priorities. Since this is a big decision, I wanted to do something not as time committing as a full time position say at the Ministry or something. That would be my ultimate goal, a job in the Department of Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures."

"Wow," Tonks breathed as she listened intently to Charlie. "You've definitely been thinking about this."

"Oh for sure. What happened at the World Cup really put things into perspective for me...and it was actually kind of exhilarating. I now understand why you're an Auror."

"So then what's the timeline for you?"

"Well when I was talking with Dumbledore and McGonagall, he mentioned that Madam Hooch is taking next year off to train to be a professional referee. So i jumped right on that, which is why I'm doing this shadowing now and will do some more practice over the summer," explained Charlie as Lee Jordan started introducing the Slytherin team.

"So you'll also be teaching flying lessons?" Tonks added with a small smile.

Charlie nodded.

"Wow, Professor Weasley, impressive," Tonks giggled and looked at the Slytherin team. "Of course there are no women on their team."

"It's pretty much always been like that, or at least since I've been playing. Oh there's Gryffindor."

"And for the opposing team, we have our Gryffindor lions, led by captain, Triwizard Champion, and newly single, Samantha Potter!!! Please welcome Potter, Johnson, Spinnet, Weasley, Weasley, Potter and Weasley!!"

Seven red blurs then flew from the tunnel and out onto the pitch. Charlie then raised an eyebrow. "Newly single? You heard that too?"

Tonks smirked and shook her head. "Yeah. Samantha told me a few days ago she broke up with Marcus. Of course her friend Lee Jordan would announce that to embarrass her."

Charlie nodded slowly and watched her walk up to the Slytherin captain, who was at least a foot taller than her. "You know she kicked me out of the locker room earlier, before the match."

"Why? What did you do to her?"

"I may have been a little too excited to return to the Quidditch lifestyle and interrupted her with some suggestions."

Tonks smacked his shoulder. "That's so rude."

"I know I know, it was indeed rude of me. I'm going to apologize to her after the match."