93

C H A P T E R 93

"I don't believe it," Remus spoke with a confused expression.

Samantha nodded. "I don't know what that means."

"I do," Sirius spoke after a few moments of thinking. "Clearly Alastor senses what's been going on. What happened at the World Cup? Why Dumbledore asked him to teach here? Alastor wants to be prepared and has a brew of Polyjuice Potion just in case he needs to go under cover."

Remus nodded slowly at his explanation while Tonks agreed. "He definitely is prepared for any type of scenario. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case."

Samantha nodded in agreement. "That would make sense. His classes are amazing, focusing on every trick in the book we'll need in case of an attack."

"I'm happy you're enjoying his classes," Remus spoke with a hint of mock.

"No no, Remus, that's not what I meant. I'm just saying that it's nice to have someone who's been there and done it all. You're still everyone's number one," Samantha said quickly with a reassuring smile.

Remus laughed. "Relax, I was only joking. Speaking for myself, I would love to sit in on one of his lectures. I always tell Nymphadora here that I envy her sometimes for being trained by him," he spoke a slightly nudging her shoulder with his.

Tonks' hair flamed red like it usually did when someone called her that name and she glared daggers at Remus. "I told you--"

"Oh come on, I only call you that to have a bit of fun," Remus replied with a small laugh.

Tonks hummed while crossing her arms. "Well it isn't fun for me."

"Ok you two, cool it," Sirius interrupted and turned back to Samantha who was grinning at the encounter between Remus and Tonks. "I wouldn't think anything of it, Samantha. We trust Mad-Eye."

Samantha nodded and sighed. "Right, I'll just drop it. I have too much to think about right now. Break is coming so quickly. Dumbledore announced that classes are to end a few days early so people can go home if they want for the first half of break. The Yule Ball is being held on Christmas evening so we won't have the full time to go home," Samantha explained, reiterating Dumbledore's speech at dinner. "I'll definitely be coming home, of course," she added.

"You better," Sirius spoke. "Now was that the last topic on your long list?"

Samantha paused and then her speaking to Winky came up in her mind. "Uhm, how's work?"

Sirius looked taken a back. "Pardon? You're asking about my job?"

She nodded and resisted a smile. "Yes, why is that so hard to fathom?"

"Because it caught me off guard. Plus there isn't really much to discuss. Ludo has been avoiding me. He looks to be on edge, probably due to us figuring out his little game," Sirius hissed. "But other than that, it's been the same. Trying to find anything we can about the attack at the Cup. We've been only hitting dead ends."

"Have you seen Barty Crouch lately?" Samantha asked.

Sirius tilted his for a moment. "Not within the last couple of days. He's been leaving work early a few times and leaving Percy more work to do. However I don't think Percy is complaining. I assume Barty wants to take some afternoons off. That man has so much on his plate."

Samantha nodded. "Interesting."

A sigh escaped his lips. "Ok what now? Is something going on with Barty?"

Remus and Tonks looked at Samantha for her response.

"Well no I was just wondering how he was doing. I went to the kitchens today and saw Winky. She's a wreck and can't understand that she's free. Dobby's been trying to help her but I think he's been doing more harm than good unfortunately."