77

C H A P T E R  77

Samantha kept trying to listen to Mr. Weasley telling everyone what happened back at the campsite, but her thoughts always went back to Marcus.

She heard bits and pieces like Winky had Harry's wand, they saw the Dark Mark, and Winky was let go by her Master Barty Crouch. She should have been paying attention to the details and could vaguely remember the story Mr. Weasley was telling, but she couldn't help it. The image of his pleading eyes kept flashing in her mind as she twisted her wand in between her fingers.

Bill, Charlie, and Percy were tending to their light injuries while Sirius and Remus were talking in hushed whispers at the small kitchen table.

Mr. Weasley then started to explain to Ron and Harry what the Dark Mark is and what Death Eaters are. Samantha got a bad feeling in her stomach at everything that was happening. Her thoughts then went to Harry's dream and how maybe that could be a link to something. Voldemort suddenly appearing and then his supporters showing up at the World Cup? And now there's this event at Hogwarts coming up.

As Samantha sat trapped in her thoughts, the feeling coming over her did not predict anything good in the future.

After discussing the situation a bit more, Mr. Weasley sent everyone to bed since it was very late. He woke everyone at dawn and they tiredly trudged back to Basil who gave them an old tire to travel back to Stoatshead Hill.

No one seemed to get much sleep as numerous yawns erupted during their walk back. Sirius and Remus were still talking in the back of the group while the two would occasionally ask Tonks some questions.

Samantha wondered what those three were up to and she already knew they probably had theories about what happened at the World Cup.

As they neared the Burrow, they saw a small lap illuminating the front door and once they started to walk up the driveway, the door flew open and Mrs. Weasley hustled out of it. She threw herself into Arthur's arms and started to splutter about how worried she was and what she read in the Daily Prophet.

Mr. Weasley reassured his wife that everyone was alright and they headed into the Burrow. He then scanned over the front page article and scoffed in annoyance. "Oh that Rita Skeeter."

Samantha took the article and read it quickly. It was of course ridiculous and reporting false claims and probably going to start rumors.

"I have to go into work and help smooth things over. No doubt the Ministry is in mayhem," Mr. Weasley said after a deep sigh.

"But its your holiday, Arthur."

"I have to go, Molly. Let me change into my robes."

"I'll come with you, father," Percy added. "I can hand Mr. Crouch my report in person."

Sirius then stepped forward. "I'll come as well. I want to talk to Robards. No doubt he'll be pleased with me coming back after what happened."

Mr. Weasley nodded. "Ok, I have an extra work cloak you can borrow for the day, Sirius."

"Thanks, Arthur."

Mrs. Weasley then started on breakfast and gave everyone a cup of tea to relax. Sirius asked for Firewhiskey though.

Remus chuckled. "Sirius it's almost eight in the morning."

• • • • •

Mrs. Weasley had gone into Diagon Alley while they were at the World Cup and Samantha sat in the living room two days later reading her Standard Book of Spells Grade 6. They were starting non-verbal spells which were going to be what their NEWTs were mostly on.