44

C H A P T E R  44

Ginny hadn't spoken to Tom since Christmas and she knew that he was bound to be angry with her for that. She didn't want to lose her friend, but she needed to know what he knew. She had planned on talking to Tom and getting some real answers, and she wasn't going to stop until he told her. Nodding to herself, she walked in some random classroom for some privacy... big mistake.

Because inside, there was a tall, curly-haired Ravenclaw prefect kissing...

"Percy?" she gasped when she recognized her brother.

The two prefects broke apart from their kiss, Percy's face as red as his hair. "Ginny!" For once, he seemed at a loss for words. He and the girl both looked at each other in worry before he finally cried out, "Wait—go outside!"

Ginny backed quickly out of the classroom, but her bad mood had disappeared for a moment. She leaned against the wall, unable to stop the surge of giggles that had managed to escape, even as she clamped her hands over her mouth to keep silent.

Percy... rule-loving, pompous Percy had a girlfriend? Who knew? Well, she guessed that even her annoying brother could fall in love with someone. Oh, she couldn't wait to see Fred and George's...

The Ravenclaw prefect had just come out and as soon as Ginny saw her, she burst out laughing again—unable to help herself. The girl blushed just as red as Hermione did earlier and ran down the hallway before Ginny could say anything. A few seconds later, Percy grabbed her arm and pulled her into the classroom.

Ginny didn't mind. She just grinned at him and said, "Percy... you hound..."

At her words, she was startled as she realized that it had been the first time in ages that she sounded like her old self. It was so astonishing, and was only made better when she see saw the bright color spread from her brother's ears across his face so that his whole head was a bright red color.

"Penny and I," he said briskly as if they were in a business meeting. "Well, we-we-it's not what you...rather we were just..." but not even Percy could come up with words to explain what he had been doing. Ginny just grinned widely at him. "Ginny," he said anxiously, "You won't... you aren't going to—please don't tell anyone, will you? Especially, not the twins... if they heard... they'd never let me hear the end of it!"

"Oh, Perce, who'd believe me that you were going out with anyone?" Ginny giggled, her heart soaring. "It's just good to know that you do have a soft spot in there somewhere! Wish I knew sooner..." Still red, he turned and left, leaving a little faster when Ginny let out another snort.

This was too good. She loved laughing again after all those months of feeling scared and miserable. Still smiling, she pulled out the diary and told Tom about what just happened.

Oh, Tom, who knew that Percy had it in him? Ginny wrote, still laughing. Can you imagine that authority-loving Percy Weasley was actually kissing a girl! One would think that he was human or something!

I have to say that it is very unexpected. I don't see why you are making such a big deal about this. It was only a kiss. Nothing important.

Ginny suddenly frowned and wrote back forcefully, Well, I think it's sweet! I'm glad that Perce finally has a girlfriend.