53

C H A P T E R  53

The ride post Dementors ran rather smoothly and Samantha spent her time going through her mess of thoughts. First she thought about Harry and if he was ok.

She wondered just how much the Dementors affected him and she would ask once they got to Hogwarts.

Once they reached Hogsmeade Station, there was a great hurry to get outside. Even though it was raining, many wanted to leave the shivering train that just recently held a Dementor. Samantha zipped up her jacket and raised her hood to block the drops and dug her hands into her pockets to maintain heat. She saw Hagrid and was going to greet him but there was a mass of people hastening towards the carriages.

She joined her friends and they all piled into a stagecoach which began its bumpy journey up to the castle. It was swaying and its windows were being pounded by raindrops and flyaway debree.

They finally got to the castle and Samantha saw the trio piling out of their carriage up ahead.

"Did you actually faint, Potter?" came the drawling voice of Draco Malfoy who was waiting by the iron gates along with Crabbe and Goyle.

"Did you actually come into our compartment scared and shivering, Malfoy?" Samantha spoke with a grin.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione raised their eyebrows in shock and amusement and turned to look at Malfoy's expression.

Draco clenched his jaw and started to stutter. "That's what I thought," Samantha responded and the group and the trio sauntered past him to the entrance doors.

Not too far behind stood Remus Lupin with an approving as well as an amused look on his face. This was going to be an interesting year.

• • • • •

As soon as Dumbledore stood up, the Great Hall fell silent and awaited his usual beginning of year speech. Samantha predicted that this one was going to be a bit different due to Sirius Black and the Dementor on the train.

She looked around the Hufflepuff table and caught Cedric's eye and smiled. She really wanted to talk on the train but the whole Remus, Dementor situation took over and she found herself lost in her thoughts for the rest of the ride.

Another thing that came up was Sirius and bringing him food later. After this, she had to right a letter to him with Oaks so he could tell her where he was going to stay. Samantha did not know where else he could stay hidden besides the Forbidden Forest.

"Welcome back to another year at Hogwarts!" Dumbledore's steady voice boomed throughout the Great Hall as the rain still pounded. "Now I have a serious issue to discuss that I know is on all of your minds: why the Hogwarts Express was searched upon your journey. Hogwarts will be home to creatures called the Dementors as they continue on their search for Sirius Black,"

Whispers immediately broke out among everyone and Dumbledore let them go for a moment or two before continuing.

"They are here on Ministry of Magic business and I advise you to not give them a reason to harm you. Students are not to leave the school without permission and the Dementors are not easily fooled,"

Samantha pursed her lips. She could for sure escape the school unnoticed but she had a feeling that these Dementors were going to be more of a problem than she originally thought on the train. Dumbledore's tone was not his usual joviality and he seemed much more reserved. Samantha wished she could have been present for the conversation between Dumbledore and Cornelius Fudge regarding the Dementors being stationed at every Hogwarts entrance.