CHAPTER TWO

With every passing year that Eleanor attended Hogwarts, she hoped the  strained relationship with her mother would improve and while it got  somewhat better, it was nowhere near where Eleanor wanted it to be

With every passing year that Eleanor attended Hogwarts, she hoped the strained relationship with her mother would improve and while it got somewhat better, it was nowhere near where Eleanor wanted it to be. It had been over four years since the letter arrived along with Professor McGonagall to introduce Eleanor to the Wizarding World, she thought that would be plenty of enough time for Margaret to adjust and come to terms that her daughter was a witch. But Margaret still showed her fears, she was still afraid of magic, and Eleanor took it that her mother still feared her in many ways.

Like many children, Eleanor wanted to share in all the exciting experience that occurred when she ventured from Hogwarts, but she was only met with her mother shaking her head or saying some sort of prayer under her breath, asking the Lord to watch over her daughter. It left Eleanor with little to say as everything that came out of her mouth was met with a negative reaction. Her first year had been the hardest because so many new and wonderful things had happened for Eleanor and she couldn't even share them with Margaret. There was so much she wanted to say but even the mere mention of her crossing a lake where a possible Giant Squid lived had nearly sent her mother straight into a heart attack.

So Eleanor was only able to dwell on her memories in private or in the company of her friends that she had made at school.

To her surprise, she actually made friends as she anticipated many avoiding her, due to her lack of interaction skills. After being cooped up in her home for eleven years, she didn't have much to her being to impress other students. As she boarded the train late because her mother refused to pass through the barrier with her, Eleanor had little choice but to sit with a group of older students that hardly acknowledged the first year in their company. Instead, she simply sat by the window knitting, listening to them talk about their summers and the upcoming school year.

It only seemed to get more awkward from that point on as the Hogwarts Express arrived at the Hogsmeade Station where the first year students were guided towards a massive man that waved them over. He sat them all into little boats and once again, Eleanor found herself riddled with nerves, leaving her quiet throughout the boat ride across the lake. She couldn't imagine what school was going to be like if she didn't bother to say anything to the students around her currently. She obviously wanted to talk to them but she didn't know what she was supposed to say.

Eleanor could tell that the other students were waiting on her to say something, not to mention they seemed to know a great deal more than she did. They spoke about the Giant Squid and the merfolk that dwelt in the lake, leaving her to look over the side of the boat. In the distance, she could hear splashing and the sound of Hagrid, the large man, yelling for one boat to settle down. As she glanced across the way, she saw the infamous twins from the wand shop, including the one who had poked her in the eye.

Subconsciously, she placed her hand over her eye, remembering the incident in Ollivander's wand shop. But she was sure that they probably didn't remember her in the slightest, she wasn't one to really leave an impression on people.