CHAPTER SEVENTY-EIGHT

No spell can reawaken the dead

Dumbledore's words played over and over in Eleanor's mind in the passing days since the events of the Third Task. When it came to the topic of Eleanor's knitting and its magical properties, everyone had a theory, but no one had the true answer. Dumbledore's theory made the most sense, Cedric had not been killed and revived, but simply Eleanor's knitting had acted as some form of armour that protected him from the Killing Curse. However, with Eleanor claiming that she did not consciously place any enchantments into her garments, it wasn't a matter of what she was doing, but how she was doing it.

It was a chilling thought that Dumbledore had placed in all of their minds that once word of Cedric's survival made its way to Voldemort, he would want to know the reasoning behind it and eventually, it would all point back to Eleanor. Which was why he had questioned who was aware of the magical properties of Eleanor's clothing. Truthfully, she claimed that there were very few, at the very least, the majority of the ones that did know about it didn't know that the protection extended so far as protecting one from the Killing Curse. She mentioned the twins, Marnie and Cedric, maybe even Lee being aware before her mind travelled back to Artemis.

At the mention of Artemis' name, there seemed to be a flicker in Dumbledore's eyes, perhaps it was worry, but he quickly masked it as a curiosity.

"I haven't really told her much about it," Eleanor admitted, "but she's seen my scarves move and my jumper did slap her at one point."

It all sounded ridiculous when she said it out loud and the faces that everyone made around her didn't make her feel any better about it. But to make matters worse, Fudge was not willing to listen to any mention of Voldemort's return. In fact, he flat out refused to take Dumbledore's word, even though Dumbledore didn't have any reason to lie to him about such a thing. Harry had seen Voldemort with his own eyes and while Cedric hadn't seen Voldemort before being attacked, he could confirm that Wormtail was still alive and was the one who attacked him.

But Fudge only wrote it off that they were all mad, Dumbledore being a downright fool for believing two teenage boys that were "hallucinating due to stressful events" of the tournament. No matter what Harry told him, whether it was telling Fudge that he saw Voldemort's rebirth or naming Death Eaters left and right, it was all brushed off as nonsense. Thank goodness the headmaster decided not to tell Fudge about Eleanor's knitting or Fudge really would have laughed them off.

The only one who probably could have confirmed everything Harry had said was Barty Crouch Jr otherwise known as Imposter Moody and unfortunately, due to Fudge's foolishness had been given the Dementor's Kiss rendering him useless.

There seemed to be so much happening all at once that Eleanor was sure her headache was never going to go away. Her father continued to reassure her that everything was going to be alright, but with Fudge carelessly tossing the winnings of the tournament onto Harry's bed, telling him he could split with Cedric if he pleased, she didn't see things going very well.