CHAPTER FOUR

Throughout the feast, Eleanor remained relatively quiet but that was  because she was enjoying the conversation taking place around her

Throughout the feast, Eleanor remained relatively quiet but that was because she was enjoying the conversation taking place around her. She liked listening to all the stories of her peers as they spoke about their summer holidays and all the adventures they embarked on. However, it was terribly embarrassing to think that she had done absolutely nothing but remain in her room and knit. She had plenty of socks and scarves to prove it too, not that she was racing to show them off to any of her classmates. She laughed here and there as Marnie continued to push people out of the way if she saw something she wanted to eat, while Cedric just watched her in amazement, wondering where all the food went in such a short period of time.

Although once the feast came to an end and the tables were clear, Marnie soon realised that she was plenty full in more ways than one. She was full of food and definitely full of regret as she clutched her stomach with both hands and let out a groan.

"Oh, what have I done?" she whimpered. "I'm so full."

"You probably should have stopped after thirds then," Cedric said with a worried look, while Marnie rolled her eyes.

"Or perhaps you should have stopped after seconds," Eleanor suggested, but it was too late. It wasn't like Marnie could go back and time and debate whether to go back for seconds and thirds. The damage had already been done and now she was going to have to suffer through the consequences.

"Listen, I can live through this pain," Marnie told them, " you would too if you lived with two horrible cooks for the summer. I spend all summer looking forward to the meals here at the castle because as smart as my parents claim to be, neither one of them can figure out how a cookbook works."

As the table was completely clear, Professor Dumbledore rose to his feet and announced that it was time for all of them to head to bed. Eleanor exchanged a grin with Cedric as Marnie continued to rub her stomach as they made their way out of the Great Hall. Making their way to the basement, Eleanor couldn't help the pleasant smile that remained on her face as she travelled through the familiar corridors.

Upon arriving outside of the multiple lines of barrels, one of the students in front of the trio proceeded to tap the barrel two from the bottom, middle of the second row, in the rhythm of "Helga Hufflepuff." The door swung open allowing them all to pass through and almost immediately, Eleanor could feel the warmth of the Common Room wash over her. She led the way inside in front of Marnie and Cedric and when she came to the centre of the room, she came to a halt allowing herself to take in the glow of the fireplace.

The Hufflepuff Common Room was one of her favourites, if not her favourite place in the entire castle. There was something peaceful and home-like about the low-ceilings, roundness of the room, and the overstuffed armchairs and sofas that littered the area. Decorated with yellow and black, that flickered the reflection of the flames in the large fireplace, it offered instant comfort to those arriving. Plants decorated the windows, circular windows that were just enough above the ground that allowed light to pour in during the morning hours.